Skill is the new grinding.....

Started by
15 comments, last by Pete Michaud 14 years, 2 months ago
Quote:Original post by Platinum_Dragon
Quote:skill leveling come from completing achievements which are unique challenges with differing difficulty and experience rewards.

This line is a simple abstract line that will take lots of work because the application of this simple statement is the bulk of a game. This design will is good, but to implement it at a plausible rate is difficult. That's why creating an RPG is better than an MMORPG for a simple statement but complex application.

Good thing I'm not going for an MMO. Also, it is the bulk of a game's character progression system, but not the bulk of the game. In fact you would probably call some of my other ideas the "bulk of a game" as well. :P

What do you guys think is the best way to present these challenges to the player?
Advertisement
Well, bulk of the game is when it's more than 5% of the coding. Yeah, it's exaggerated.

Quote: Originally from Orymus
I've seen progressive games where achievements increased with a variable number.
For example, 100 headshots would be followed by one with 1000 headshots, and so on. Adding difficulty levels could work too. Eyeshots :P

Is an example why the coding will take a while because you have to have unique codes for the different skills, but also a function that counts how much accomplishment for the reward. So overall, you need a two layer functions of coding to simplify this matter.

One way to present these challenges is to have other characters refer to previous Heroes. These characters will speak of the accomplishments of heroes of the past. It's also about a historical development for the game. You need a background. The background story is a possible way to give the player hints towards getting achievements.
I use QueryPerformanceFrequency(), and the result averages to 8 nanoseconds or about 13 cpu cycles (1.66GHz CPU). Is that reasonable?
I though that the assembly equivalent to accessing unaligned data would be something similar to this order:

• move
  • mask
  • shift
  • move
  • mask
  • shift
  • or

So it seems reasonable to say that it takes 14 cycles for unaligned data since we'll have to do the series of instructions once to access and once to assign?
I see. Sort of besting your predecessors to earn your place.
Quote:Original post by JasRonq

That seems more of a MMO/XBox Achievement sort of dynamic. Or am I misunderstanding?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Quote:Original post by Platinum_Dragon
Alpha_ProgDes, I will suggest that since we have a party of 3, that the "special" experience should be unique to the individual character while the general experience is together for the party.

Special experience is the accomplishments that the characters can possibly do.
General experience is the basic experience the characters get when they kill a monster.

Why give the special experience uniquely to the characters? This is so the player can create unique party roles for the characters.

I like this idea. For the sake of easier coding and gamer maintenance, I would let the player choose a discipline to grow in (ex: warrior, magician, thief, gambler). Then allow the player to grow not only the general stats, but the discipline (special) stats as well.

But we can take this one step further and have the weapon gain experience as well. Therefore a powerful weapon can be wielded by an equally powerful character (as opposed to waiting 10 hours of traveling and having 50000 rouble to buy it).

An example. My character Balsk the Mage has her weapon of choice: the Emerald Lance. As she fights with her weapon, the weapon gains experience. It goes from a standard melee weapon to one that increases magic attack power by 25% percent. As Balsk channels magic attacks thru the Lance, it's able to produce a shield at the next level up. Continued (and successful) use of the shield makes it an encompassing barrier around Balsk.

Granted I could take this concept in many different directions.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
Quote:Original post by JasRonq

That seems more of a MMO/XBox Achievement sort of dynamic. Or am I misunderstanding?

Thats pretty much it. XBox achievements that give your character experience instead of gamer points. You can still wear them as badges of honour though.
I love this idea. It's taking the achievement concept to the next level -- achievements aren't just icing, they are how to get "experience". Obviously the achievements have to be tailored to the game, like a Diablo clone couldn't have a headshot achievement but it could have a "no potion" achievement. I think it's great. Run with it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement