What are the prospects for an artist like me?

Started by
5 comments, last by Nanoha 14 years, 2 months ago
Firstly, sorry if this is in the wrong forum - I wasn't sure if it belonged in the "Breaking into the Games Industry" section or one of the arty forums. This post seems fairly general in its beginner-ness so I stuck it here, feel free to move it if I was wrong. _ My query is this; I am an artist and illustrator by trade, I am generally quite competent in the traditional 2D artistic setting (Pencil & Paper, Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop etc...). I am currently brushing up my draftsmanship (both observational and conceptual) ability, and am confident that I will be able to compete with the standard that the games industry seems to demand of it's concept artists, character artists etc... in the non too distant future. I know very little about the fundamental engineering of a video game. I understand things up to the point where the concept sketch is sculpted in a 3D program - but shortly after that, my brain switches off. Recently, I have discovered 'Blender', and several of its tutorials. I remember downloading it when I was in college - and it turns out it still resides on my computer (Though I may download a more recent version, just to stay up to date). From what I have seen and understood of this program so far, it seems to be a good starting point for someone like me (with virtually no 3D computer modelling experience) to bring some of their concepts and sketches to life. Bearing in mind that I am not a total klutz, and that given time I think I could come to terms with Blender... A) Are my assumptions about Blender being a good starting point for taking my design to the next level correct? Bi) What are the prospects for an artist like myself within the video game industry (both before I have explored 3D and once I have exlpored 3D)? Bii) What form would this work in the video game industry take? - Please be as specific as possible, what would be expected of someone like me? What would the deliverables be? What environment would the work take place in - ie: An office? A studio? Work from home? C) With the required dedication that I possess, is this type of work in the video game industry a REALISTIC ATTAINABLE GOAL? D) This one's a cliche, but even artists need to pay for food and petrol: What's the pay like? I am extremely greatful to anyone who can provide me with answers to these questions. Please explain them simply, not only so that I can understand - but so that any one else with a similar query can grasp them too. Thank you very much. TB
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Burd Turger
0. Firstly, sorry if this is in the wrong forum - I wasn't sure if it belonged in the "Breaking into the Games Industry" section or one of the arty forums.
Bii)d) What environment would the work take place in - ie: An office? A studio? Work from home? ...
D) What's the pay like?
Y) I am extremely greatful
Z) Please explain them simply, not only so that I can understand - but so that any one else with a similar query can grasp them too.

0. Your Blender questions belong in the arty forum. But your "what's it like to have a job in the game biz" questions belong in the Breaking In forum. None of your questions belong in the For (Programming) Beginners forum.
Bii)d) An office, of course. Since you have to ask this question, you aren't ready for freelancing.
D. You can look up salaries here.
Y. Yore wellkumm.
Z. What a great idea! Why didn't we think of that?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Disclaimer: I'm not an artist, but I work with them. :)
Quote:Original post by Burd Turger
A) Are my assumptions about Blender being a good starting point for taking my design to the next level correct?

Most of the professional modelers I know happen to work with either Max or Maya, but Blender is used as well. I suppose that if you're completely new to modeling, it doesn't really matter too much which software you start out with.
Quote:Bi) What are the prospects for an artist like myself within the video game industry (both before I have explored 3D and once I have exlpored 3D)?

Take a look at job listings and see what the requirements are. I would wager that most games are not in 3D, so being limited to 2D art doesn't make you unemployable.
Ah, I didn't realise it was "Programming Only".

Actually, I already freelance as an Illustrator and Graphic Designer - just not in the gaming industry. I've worked in studios and on internships, but currently work from home.

What I meant was;

Does the gaming industry follow a similar format, a group of people working towards a salary within a studio environment, or an office? Are the salaries temporary or do they come as a contractual agreement (as is the case with the type of freelancing I do) etc...?

Thanks for clearing it all up anyway. Which forums would I be best advised to repost the individual questions?
Quote:Original post by Turd Burger
Does the gaming industry follow a similar format, a group of people working towards a salary within a studio environment, or an office? Are the salaries temporary or do they come as a contractual agreement (as is the case with the type of freelancing I do) etc...?

Both.
Quote:Which forums would I be best advised to repost the individual questions?

Probably Visual Arts.
Quote:Original post by Wan
Quote:Original post by Shmurd Shmurger
Which forums would I be best advised to repost the individual questions?

Probably Visual Arts.

Unless the question is about "working in the game biz," then use Breaking In instead.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:Original post by Turd BurgerA) Are my assumptions about Blender being a good starting point for taking my design to the next level correct?

I actually found blender to be quite difficult to do even the most basic things (compared to 3ds max) and from some of the posts I have seen around here my experience is not unique. Once you do get used to blender it has a ncie flow and things feel quite natural.

I think 3ds max would be better for starting (that said, when I tried blender I was trying to do things as I would in max so perhaps that affected things). Of course, blender is completly free.

If you do try the blender route then do all the basic tutorials, trying to just "jump" in is quite difficult.

Interested in Fractals? Check out my App, Fractal Scout, free on the Google Play store.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement