Sign in to follow this  
IDamiez

Programming an online game in flash?

IDamiez    106
based on my research so far Ive concluded that this is possible through action script and the "smart fox server" system. I was told recently that the way the programmer goes about the programming itself makes a difference, as in programming using flex compared to the adobe flash program. can anyone further explain these differences to me, and which would benefit someone attempting to develop an online game in flash?

Wan    1366
Quote:
Original post by IDamiez
based on my research so far Ive concluded that this is possible through action script and the "smart fox server" system.

Flash can potentially communicate with any server, but depending on your requirements, SmartFox can make things easier.

Quote:
I was told recently that the way the programmer goes about the programming itself makes a difference, as in programming using flex compared to the adobe flash program.

There isn't a real difference from a programmer's point of view. The distinction between something like FlashDevelop and the official Adobe CS is that the latter provides a design view that allows you to draw sprites or drag and drop components onto the stage (the main canvas). An artist might prefer that, but a programmer mostly works in (ActionScript) code files anyway.