Hello im new here :D

Started by
15 comments, last by mrobbins 14 years, 2 months ago
Ok ive spent a while learning C and C++ with NO previous knowledge or experience with programming. The person who was teaching me quit making tutorials so im now stuck. The whole reason i started was so that in the future id be able to develope the mmorpg that nobody around is willing to make. I am willing to put all my time into this (50 hours a week or so) to learn but i need to know where to start if i want to reach that point. I only know the basics of C and C++ taught by thenewboston on youtube. Can somebody point me in the right direction? edit: im also looking into python as im waiting for a response to this edit: i also apologize in advance if this is the wrong section or place to be asking this @jarwulf: i know a single person cannot aceive a mmorpg i have 15 or so people willing to help me all loyal friends. Right now though we are all learning the basics and how to develope out 3d game programming skills. we just need instructions to start advancing and need to know which language we should master @@jarwulf: I know i cant just jump into mmorpg programming that would be a ridiculously large step. I just need to know where the best place to start designing basic games. [Edited by - Vex888 on February 13, 2010 2:45:35 PM]
Advertisement
The usual definition of a "Massively" MORPG is a game with at least one persistent gameworld and the ability to support huge numbers of players simultaneously. Most people here and in other expert forums agree this is currently beyond the reach of single programmers let alone those with no previous experience otherwise we'd see Joe Blows everywhere releasing wowkillers but the bucketloads. Regular multiplayer games are certainly achievable though and there are even libraries and apis to ease the progress.
This MMORPG stuff should really be added as a Sticky in "For Beginners"
Quote:Original post by Vex888

@jarwulf: i know a single person cannot aceive a mmorpg i have 15 or so people willing to help me all loyal friends. Right now though we are all learning the basics and how to develope out 3d game programming skills. we just need instructions to start advancing and need to know which language we should master

Other people here are more knowledgeable that me but simply having that amount of friends wouldn't be enough. These type of projects are typically handled by much larger groups of salaried programmers/designers/artists each with years of specialized experience in specific areas such as environmental modeling and network programming. They are led by experienced managers and an office environment have rigidly defined milestones and workflow. Plus there are issues and costs arise with designing and managing high server loads and infrastructure indefinitely that you're unlikely to easily find a solution for in a online tutorial. Not that you're likely to be that successful in your first go around though.

A better idea would be to focus on a simpler offline or regular multiplayer game for your first effort and build up from there rather than jump straight into a 3d MMORPG. You probably want division of labor since for example someone struggling with the complex/unintuitive 3d modeling packages that dominate the market will not want to have to worry about programming as well. The languages you mention are solid choices although there are many others you can mix and match with them. You should also look up some popular libraries and apis as well as Maya/3dMax/Blender for 3d and GIMP/Photoshop/Illustrator for 2d art.
15 people isn't so bad I think, but 15 experienced persons.

Try to search on this page, you will find a lot of discussion about the topic.
Quote:Original post by szecs
15 people isn't so bad I think, but 15 experienced persons.

Try to search on this page, you will find a lot of discussion about the topic.

Maybe for a regular game or maybe even a 2d game like Maple Story but I get the feeling he's thinking more 3d ala WOW.

Wouldn't all the backend stuff and maintenance pretty much require more than just 15 people to make it feasible anyway?
I was thinking about making the game itself, not about maintenance/advertising/stuff lie that.
First off, for whatever language you go for, I always recomend getting a book on it to learn the language (I've done that, and it's worked pretty well so far). It looks like that you have the man power, cause 15 people is decent, but it all depends on what you are trying to make. In this case, your MMORPG isn't going to be easy. I'm not sure what you know about networking, but an MMORPG, once built, requires quite a bit of maintenance afterwards, with all the server computers that you're gonna have up to support the "Massively Multiplayer Online" part of the RPG. Making the game may not be the biggest problem (again, I really don't know your scale and what you are planning) but you will have a big problem in maintenance, and all that post-release stuff. So keep that in mind when you get to the making of your MMORPG.

To answer your other question of what language to master, the one that is used most widely is C++. It's up to you whether you want to go for C++ or Python.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

ok so i should start with c++ THANK YOU! :D now, i understand most of the basic elements of code up until i get to pointers and strings. Could somebody explain these in a little more detail?
Quote:Original post by Vex888
ok so i should start with c++

Well, like kryotech said you can start with C++, but there are several languages to pick from. C++ is widely used in certain domains, but it does have a rather steep learning curve.

I you want to start making games as quickly as possible, perhaps something like XNA is an option. If you use it with C#, you will at least already be somewhat familiar with the language's basic syntax. O, and strings will be easy and pointers unnecessary. ;)

If you go with C++ (or any other language for that matter), it's probably best to buy a book. I'm sure the folks around here will have recommendations based on your choice of language.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement