New to game programming, some questions

Started by
2 comments, last by Wan 14 years, 2 months ago
Hello everyone, A little about me: I'm a PhD student in biomedical engineering. I have a BS in computer engineering and I've done a lot of C programming (although its been awhile since I've programmed), including programming multiple cores. I'm interested in learning to program games and I want to eventually create an online game that is 2D and side scrolling, capable of running on a simple server and maintaining maybe 50 friends. I think that its within possibility to do this given my experience, but I'm going to work on a couple side projects to learn about sprites, collision detection, etc. Does this seem like a reasonable thing to do? Can these basic programs (and final 2D scroller) be programmed with XNA? I like that MS gave some wrapper classes and simplified much of the process. Plus, its also capable of working on Xbox LIVE which would really help if I wanted to include some friends who don't like PC games. Any input would be very appreciated. M

Thanks!

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Red X
I'm interested in learning to program games and I want to eventually create an online game that is 2D and side scrolling, capable of running on a simple server and maintaining maybe 50 friends. I think that its within possibility to do this given my experience, but I'm going to work on a couple side projects to learn about sprites, collision detection, etc. Does this seem like a reasonable thing to do?

I would think so.
Quote:Can these basic programs (and final 2D scroller) be programmed with XNA?

Certainly, but you won't be able to use C of course.
Well I assumed C is a good thing to know omw to learning a .NET language (if thats the right terminology?). I know some ASP and I have a good fundamental grasp on OOP because I also learned Java and C++.

Is C# really all that different?

Thanks!

Quote:Original post by Red X
Is C# really all that different?

Not really, but you mentioned C in your opening post. In general, if you are already familiar with several programming languages and paradigms, learning another one shouldn't be any problem.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement