• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
BUnzaga

Spherical 'zone' system?

This topic is 3046 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am working on a game where the land is a sphere, and I am having a bit of trouble deciding on how to handle the 'zones' for the world. My first idea was to imagine the world as a 'cube' and just break it up into a 3x3x3 grid. I am now wondering if I should use an axis system like -90 to 90 elevation and 0 to 360 heading type thing. Does anyone have any experience or friendly advice they could give regarding this type of a thing? The problem is I want to divide the world into Zones for kicking out logic when it's not needed. IE: if a tree falls in a zone where no one is, no one will hear it. If I just use a longitude / latitude system, the zones aren't all the same size, and the ones near the poles are all right next to each other which is just weird. :P

Advertisement
I'm doing the same thing where the land is a sphere. What I'm doing is creating a tesselated sphere(each section is a triangle). Then I have a list of connected sections that I read from disk when a player enters a new section. I unload any sections that aren't on the connected section list and load ones that are on the list but not yet loaded.

how I detect if a player enters a new section is by shooting a ray towards the sphere center and testing if that section has the player in it or not and if it doesn't I set it to have the player and do all the unloading/loading of the connected sections.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!