Sign in to follow this  
BUnzaga

Spherical 'zone' system?

I am working on a game where the land is a sphere, and I am having a bit of trouble deciding on how to handle the 'zones' for the world. My first idea was to imagine the world as a 'cube' and just break it up into a 3x3x3 grid. I am now wondering if I should use an axis system like -90 to 90 elevation and 0 to 360 heading type thing. Does anyone have any experience or friendly advice they could give regarding this type of a thing? The problem is I want to divide the world into Zones for kicking out logic when it's not needed. IE: if a tree falls in a zone where no one is, no one will hear it. If I just use a longitude / latitude system, the zones aren't all the same size, and the ones near the poles are all right next to each other which is just weird. :P

I'm doing the same thing where the land is a sphere. What I'm doing is creating a tesselated sphere(each section is a triangle). Then I have a list of connected sections that I read from disk when a player enters a new section. I unload any sections that aren't on the connected section list and load ones that are on the list but not yet loaded.

how I detect if a player enters a new section is by shooting a ray towards the sphere center and testing if that section has the player in it or not and if it doesn't I set it to have the player and do all the unloading/loading of the connected sections.