Sign in to follow this  
nathanwil

is windows 7 a good choice for gamers/game developers

nathanwil    100
in getting a new computer so i have a choice to go with XP or to upgrade to 7, but after all that trash with vista I'm a little apprehensive. I don't know how well windows 7 handles for game developers and gamers in general. i tried looking it up but i can find any recent articles on the subject so i would like to see if anyone here knows the answer.

Sirisian    2263
Support for Windows XP ends April 8, 2014. Windows XP doesn't support DirectX 10, or 11 for that matter. 20% of gamers are using Windows 7 64-bit and the number is rising fast. Steam hardware survey is your best source of information. I'm with the 9% using Windows 7 32 bit.

For game developers there's no change except for access to DirectX 10/11. All of the current IDEs for game programming that work on XP work on 7. So you're fine there.

From a personal opinion you should use Windows 7. I've been using it for a long time now and I like it much more than XP.

X Abstract X    109
First week might be painful if you're resistant to change. But, after using Windows 7 64-bit on both my laptop and desktop for the last few months, it's great. I haven't any problems at all as far as stability goes.