Sign in to follow this  
klefebz

How to destroy Earth?

klefebz    261
I was thinking in a sci-fi game in wich you fly a spaceship inside the solar system. The setting is late 21st century with colonies spreading across the planets. After some thought I realized that Earth would become a problem since it's overpopulated and all factions live there so the action would end up focussing there. So I decided to destroy it and leave the factions each in a diferent location. So it comes, how to destroy it? A)World war III or IV B)Asteroid impact (too cliche) C)Black hole impact altering the orbit D)The aliens did it and then left E)A focused radiation stream killed everyone F)The planet mysteriously vanished G)Supervolcanic explosion H)A virus If anyone comes up with a more original doomsday please comment

Codeka    1239
It was demolished to make way for a hyperspace bypass.

Actually, I like Hodgman's idea. You don't always have to explain everything :)

aleks_1661    188
How about:

I) Global Warming/Climate Change
J) The Large Hadron Collider at CERN created tiny black holes that all amassed at earth's core, causing catastrophic gravitational and magnetic anomalies
K) Massive asteroid strikes the moon, causing large amounts of debris to sit in orbit around earth - thus making travel in and out of earth's orbit difficult and causing an ice age at the surface due to reduced sunlight - I don't think Hollywood has done this one yet!

Alex

Edit: Love Hodgman's idea :)

Pete Michaud    137
You could make it a tangent plot point. Make it a wasteland that's interesting to visit, if just for the mutants. Destroy it during the events of the game. Give it some shock value.

Katie    2244

The Civil War of Humanity began when the colonies on Earth's moon and Mars declared independence. Tired of exporting their wealth to support Earth's "fat and lazy billions", they believed that as rulers of their own destiny they could grow faster and eventually reach out for the stars. Six months after the secession notice, United Nations troops entered the provisional government buildings in New Washington and Hale Crater. The temporary colony leaders were executed and indefinite martial law imposed.

Other ships were seen on low energy orbits targeted at the asteroid mining centres and the Jupiter moons. It quickly became apparent that Earth was preparing to install direct rule on all of the colonies. The various factions amongst the colonies and settlements were forced to band together against the technological and numerical superiority of the UN; only their experience of non-terrestrial conflict allowed them to hold any ground at all.

Three years of bitter -- and deadly -- conflict filled the system. Popular support for the colonial cause ran high; many of the people in the colonies left exactly to escape Earth's oppressive control.

The Earth government, meanwhile, was increasingly desperate. Trapped between their own population's indifference to what they saw as an unimportant conflict and their own knowledge that the supply of vital materials from space was the only thing preventing mass famine.

The harder Earth's forces pressed on the colonies, the more the colonists militancy grew. Eventually someone pushed an asteroid out of orbit and towards Earth.

It could have been intended as a warning to the joint government of Earth. It could have been intended to deny them enough resources to continue to prosecute the war. It could have been intended to stir up resistance against the conflict on Earth itself.

But whoever pushed the asteroid, picked the wrong kind. Instead of a stony asteroid which would have largely broken up and caused a lot of light and noise but not much damage, the asteroid contained a metallic core. Maybe it was deliberate, but no-one can believe that. It had to have been a terrible accident.

The impact evaporated a significant portion of the Indian Ocean as well as vapourising the ocean floor and blasted mantle material both into orbit and to rain down across the planet's surface. Billions died almost instantly from the blast, billions more in the hours of ocean waves and earthquakes that followed. And when the smoke from continental fires combined with the dust and water vapour, billions more starved in the years that followed as the temperature plummeted. Just four million survivors from the Earth were rescued by the combined best efforts of the colonists.

No-one knows the true intention of the attack because the perpetrators were never found, never made a statement, were never heard from in any way.

Twenty years later, the crime is still a shared guilt amongst the colonies. Shared guilt and shared suspicion. No-one likes the idea that the murderers of 14 billion earthmen still walk hidden amongst them...

klefebz    261
Well, that about black holes from CERN I've aready seen it in a Discovery Channel movie.
The destruction of the Moon was showed in "The time machine"
Global climate disaster seems was seen in "the day after tomorrow" and geologic disaster in "2012"
I'm looking for something original but, once heard people would think possible (as possible as sci-fi can be)

I think I feel inclined to small balck hole impact, they can move reaaly fast and be small, still having more mass than the sun. an impact from "above" would alter the orbit into a "vertical" excentric one, it wold freeze and only pass trough travelable space once each many years, giving you a small time opportunity to go there and collect archeological value items, someone will pay.

Two ideas spring to mind.

1) A sattelite picks up a heat bloom deep beneath the Amazon basin. A team of disparate but skilled individuals is sent to investigate. After drilling down several miles they find a vast cavern containing an ancient temple. They explore in a tense/badly lit atmosphere. Some of them have improbable and unfortunate accidents. The survivors eventually get to a room in the very heart of the temple. There is a large stone table in the middle. On the table is a round, red button. There are signs around the button saying "DO NOT PRESS THE BUTTON" in every language ever written on Earth. One of them presses the button. The Sun goes out and the Earth spirals off into space eight minutes later.

2) The Earth still exists, but has become a cultural monument. The entire population has been removed to preserve it. All factions agree that it is far too important to be fought over or owned by any one of them. There may or may not be a tourist bureau.

PaulCesar    524
It was 1200 years since the creation and launch of CIN (Collective Information Network) by Google Inc. Having run out of things to search, Google had designed a human-integrating chip, which when installed on a a persons cerebral cortex, allowed the user to both search the internet as well as indexing the persons memories and data banks for fast retrieval on the network. Billed to the impovished as a free alternative to college, it was a huge hit. But after the eventual takeover of Google by Steve Jobs in 1021, And with it full integration with the iPhone6, it became a sensation, even amongst the rich and famous. 500 years later it would become global mandate for these to be installed in all children at time of birth (as it is claimed to be safer to install on a child). The human android race was born, and CIN became the global knowledge bank for a new computerized government.

This of course angered those of the federation, who no longer could view the human species as something to be protected. Linked consiousnesses had been banned for as long as they could remember, and its drawbacks well documented. Since the invention, science was evolving at an unheard of rate, and it wouldent be long before the earth technology could rival that of the federation. They had to be stopped now.

Unsure of how to approach the situation, they disguised several interstellar warships as giant iphone's and approched earths orbit. It is to this day still unknown who's bright idea it was to attempt to download Moris ALbert's "Feelings" onto said warship/iphone, but the devistation that insued is forever ingrained into the minds, iphones, and memory chips of what is left of earths now completely android population.

Asimov's method: The Earth steadily increased in radiation over 100 years, due to a device set off by a radical colonist. Earth became progressively more unhabitable, but everyone didn't instantly die, so it forced them off the planet, which gave the colonies a huge boost in population (the colonies were geo-formed planets in this case, not space stations... it'd be hard to get the 20 billion of Asimov's earth into space stations).

Alternatively, you could have the Tetonic plates of the planet all shift at nearly one time, having built up power over centuries, causing catastrophic earthquakes (Megathrust earthquakes) and tidal waves, volcanic eruptions, and wildfires, which would cause massive famines, wars, and plagues like you couldn't possibly imagine, killing off 80-90% of the Earth's population over a peroid of 7 or 8 years...

klefebz    261
I didn't say the colonies must be space stations, i thought Mars, Venus, Europe, as colony locations.
Venus is too hot, but with some cleverly desgned cooling system they could turn the heat into usable eletricity (it would keep being energy)
Well I don't need to totally wipe Out Earth, but at least descentralize the mankind activity place.

BLiTZWiNG    361
If you have a space faring civilization that regularly colonises other worlds and builds many space stations, there is no need to destroy earth, as many people will leave seeking employment and excitment elsewhere in space. Earth might also be a hideously expensive place to live now too.

Red Cloud    157
Whatever you do, DO NOT make is a virus, asteroid, metor etc, world wars. They are very cliche.

An idea, would be that the moon fell into the earth for some reason or other? :S

I like the idea of mystery, that nobody knows exactly what happened. How bout it DOES just vanish? No explanation? Did it move somewhere? Do people believe it's gone forever? Do some believe it is out there somewhere? Do some people seek to go find it?

klefebz    261
about the "banishing theory", wich is not my favorite and put it to be creative, it may be like it is there, and then it is not. wormhole? reality distortion? nobody knows. an if it's out there people can't see it, and since i said the setting is late 21st century they can't search for it, since they can't go further than Uranus or Neptune safely.
i know meteor is cliche, i wrote in the first post of this thread

TFBC_Jason    338
I would go with the real reason the Earth will no longer be around... in 2012, the magnetic poles will reverse, completely flipping, which will cause the entire planet to flip back to its comfort zone. It will do so, so violently, that anyone not nailed down will be flung into space. Anyone left will be surely crushed by the force of their own inertia when the Earth suddenly stops after its half rotation.

Hodgman    51324
Quote:
Original post by TFBC_Jason
I would go with the real reason the Earth will no longer be around... in 2012, the magnetic poles will reverse, completely flipping, which will cause the entire planet to flip back to its comfort zone. It will do so, so violently, that anyone not nailed down will be flung into space. Anyone left will be surely crushed by the force of their own inertia when the Earth suddenly stops after its half rotation.
That's really not at all how that works :(
It takes tens of thousands of years for the poles to complete a reversal, which does not affect the physical spin of the planet... Plus precursors of human-kind have survived such an event in the past.
I can only hope you're taking the piss out of 2012 doomsday 'theorists' ;)

May as well have Nibiru collide with Earth while it's undergoing this 'instant flip' and have all the tectonic plates flip upside down too ;P

[Edited by - Hodgman on February 15, 2010 1:35:51 AM]

DpakoH    1204
An unpenetrable field around the Earth. What's going on on Earth - no one knows. Reason for the field - unknown, maybe aliens or experiment gone bad.

LorenzoGatti    4449
A mostly natural approach: Yellowstone -> cascade of earthquakes and volcanic activity -> release of enough toxic/radioactive substances (possibly including nuclear waste, atom bomb caches, etc.) -> ecological collapse and sudden ice age -> rather long-term terraforming effort.

A mostly man-made approach: some "harmless" new chemical substance (presumably very useful and widespread nanoparticles) reacts unexpectedly with something common, producing an almost indestructible compound that accumulates into cells and interferes with meiosis.
Before the above is discovered, almost all life on Earth cannot reproduce any more. What new life will spring from this age of exceptional natural selection? Sequels will tell.
Spacefarers keep the contamination on the planet with deadly force.
Earth might become a one-way trip destination that old people want to see before they die (and maybe where discriminated people are deported); if sufficient decontamination technology exists there could be some trade.

arithma    226
- Genetic engineering goes haywire, plants take over the world
- Sun becomes unstable, people flee the solar system
- Unpredicted nuclear chemical reactions create a layer above the earth's atmosphere making the planet inhabitable

Ghostknight    166
Why don't you make the Sun turn into a Red Giant. This distroying everything in its path. At this time even if you have your story 5 billion years in the future as it were And even by chance there is life still left on Earth Have chaos strike through out Earth? Then have some military Government get on their space craft and Planet hop through the rest of our planets to survive. Who knows what you will find at the end of the Solar system.

New creatures or humanoid beasts?