How to do this, anyidea?

Started by
3 comments, last by kareth 22 years, 8 months ago
Okay i got this idea about 2D/3D game-engine. The basic idea is that the background is 2D pre-created or created-on-fly by components and moving objects 3D. I think that best way is to create 3-layers. Firstone is graphic-layer ,second is bouncin-layer which is invisible and 3D-layer. So the result would be like in Baldur''s Gate. So is it wise to use 3 different datafiles or should i make just one file which has data for level? Would it be hard and could i use Direct3D or do i have to make some code that convert 3D-model for DirectDraw?
Advertisement
This really should be in a graphics programming forum, so I''m moving it there.

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Mad Keith the V.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
I''m not totally sure what you''re talking about but I''ll give it a shot. My suggestion is split it up into 3 files but make sure that every entry in each file has corresponding entries in the other files, if there''s one missing leave it blank. That way you can efficiently load data from all 3 files using random access files.

Also, it might be easier to code if you left some kind of abstraction between layers so there''s seamless integration and not tons of layer details all coded seperately.
I''d place the three layers in one file. Just my opinion.
If you put the different layers into different files, you''re just begging for versioning problems. There are sometimes good reasons to use different files, especially if you''re programming for multiple architectures, but something like this just cries out for a single datafile.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement