Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

markhsch

Rendering Entities

Chris, In the documentation, it says "Power Render does not include an entity list. You must explicitly tell what entities to render and when." If I am reading this correctly, does it mean that if I have a mesh at a certain location in a level, it''s up to me to decide if it is visible (no walls/other meshes and within view frustrum) and based on that determination, render it or not. Is this correct? One other question unrelated. Portals. Can I create a 3ds object and instead of using a texture, project an image from a different camera onto that object? Example: I have a simple cube 3ds object (converted to pr4 object) and a camera at a certain position in the level. Can I render the view from the camera onto the cube? Sort of like a video monitor. Thanks and good job on the engine. -Mark

PR does view frustum culling for you. Anything more sophisticated is up to the application.

The high level engine that uses BSP and terrain keeps an entity list and adds some basic things like 2D distance, and indoor/outdoor checks (ie if outside isn''t visible no outside objects or shadows are drawn).

You can render to a texture. You''ll need to create a special texture that can be rendered to using the PR_CreateRenderTexture function. After you''ve created the texture change the texture number in your material to this one. This technique is used for water reflections, cube maps, and projected shadow maps.