Sign in to follow this  
Staffan E

[VC++] Post-Build Event output is cut off halfway

Staffan E    536
Hey people. I recently made the migration of my development environment from XP to Win7 and now I've run into an unexpected problem. I build my C++ project through Visual C++ 2008 Express and I use a post-build event to run automated tests on the whole code base. On XP this works fine, but on Win7 the output from the test app is cut off at a certain point, in mid-sentence really. My setup is this: I have my main project Citizen built into a static library which is linked to a launcher project CitiLaunch and to a testing project CitiTest. CitiLaunch just pushes the "run button" while CitiTest uses the FCTX library to run a number of test suites on the code. Then when CitiTest is finished building a post-build event kicks in and runs the test exe. If a test fails it aborts and does not build CitiLaunch. A pretty standard setup I guess. The testing app seems to run and return the right codes but its output is cut a fixed point. There does not seem to be anything specific in the testing code causing this because if I rearrange the tests the output stops after roughly the same number of lines, but at another test. Moreover this is only a problem when I run it through the VS output window. I have tried using a build event and by setting the test app up as an external tool (from the menu). If I run it from the OS command prompt it shows no sign of halting. Also if I check out the code on an XP machine and build it the tests are reported correctly from inside VS. I'm currently at a loss here. Does anyone know if there is a limitation on the output length of a tool from VS (on Win7), or if it may be redirecting stdout at some point from the output window? I mean apparently it works correctly under the hood but if I can't read the testing report from within VS it pretty much defeats the purpose of automated testing. Thanks in advance for any insight or ideas.

Staffan E    536
Today I tried to dump a large text file in the console by a command script and running it as a VS tool to direct output to the output window. Although the text was a lot longer than my testing output, it was all printed out.

So I guess this rules out the idea that output was truncated to a size. Maybe the FCTX library does something to mess with the output target. But why then did it work on XP?