Sign in to follow this  
AndyMills

Question about Sky Box Rendering

AndyMills    122
Hi All First off, I do apologise if this is a stupid questions, and/or if it's already been covered. I'm about to start work on rendering a sky box on my lovely new ROAM terrain and I was wondering what happens with lighting. Obviously to simulate sunlight, there would be some kind of directional light right? If so, how does the light affect the edges of the sky box. I always wondered why you can't see the seams between the quads. Thanks in advance! -Andy

rubicondev    296
You can't see the seams largely because they've been created with a special program that matches it all up using weird circular distortions for each face in the cube.

A lot of programs output these, but you have little chance of making them by hand and not make em look like texture mapped cubes.

szecs    2990
Quote:
Original post by Rubicon
You can't see the seams largely because they've been created with a special program that matches it all up using weird circular distortions for each face in the cube.

A lot of programs output these, but you have little chance of making them by hand and not make em look like texture mapped cubes.
Yes.
And you can download a lot of these for free (google "skybox texture free" for example), most of them are program-generated images, but you can find a few real images too ("free cubemap" for example) (I don't know how they make those).

Kryzon    4630
One could try to make his own too, either by painting it by hand (in case the art direction requires that kind of look), or by modelling a scene and setting your camera's FOV to 90 degrees, if I'm not mistaken.

Sometimes it's just much easier to use Terragen or something like that, though (and then adding more elements through your favorite painting program - watching out for the seams, of course).

[Edited by - Kryzon on February 15, 2010 9:53:55 AM]