• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

how can i develop a simple game

This topic is 2930 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Good day eveyone, i've been tryin to get answers to this problem that i've got.the thing is i've got very little c++ programming knowledge and i want to develop a simple game like tetris but i don't know where or how to start neither do i know what kinda of tools i need.Secondly Is there a very very good book i can get and study that can show/teach me how to apply c++ programming in making simple games like this with illustrated examples in it as i continue to learn C++ progamming.Any advice wud be very very apreciated.thanks a ton.

Advertisement
You may want to do some simple games that run in command prompt first, to get a better grasp at the language. That will help you gain the knowledge required to think of where to start. When I started building a tetris clone in Java, I started it by building a class that basically maintained a multi-dimensional array of numbers. I used the numbers in a switch to determine what to output. I later though created a Box class which the array contained. I worked on having a single square fall at a looped time, and then having it stop when it reaches the bottom, or another stopped block.

My point is, take a bigger problem in steps.

Quote:
Original post by I Fuad I
try Allegro, good engine for beginning. and there are many tutorials :)

While I can't comment on whether Allegro is any good or not I just wanted clarify that Allegro isn't an engine any more than Direct3D is an engine.

All I can say, that every problem solving starts with a piece of paper and a pen.
The more time I spend here on the forums, the more I feel that most of the people don't know these tools at all.

Quote:
Original post by nobodynews
Quote:

While I can't comment on whether Allegro is any good or not I just wanted clarify that Allegro isn't an engine any more than Direct3D is an engine.

Im pretty sure it's a library.

Quote:
Original post by KyleM
Quote:
Original post by nobodynews
Quote:

Im pretty sure it's a library.
OGRE is a library and it is also an engine. Allegro is a library and it is not an engine.

I was in your same position & the best way to learn a game is start as simply as possible.

I would ask myself these questions 1st:
- Do I know how to use & create functions in c++?
- Do I know how to use classes &/or structures in c++?
- Do I have exeperience using the console input & output(meaning using cin & cout)

If you can answer yes to all of these I would try to create a simple naughts & crosses(AKA Tick Tack Toe) game because it would need functions, not necessarily classes & it would definitely need console input.

If you can only answer yes to one of these questions then I would start on a really simple game making app call "Game Maker 8" which is great for novices & will be a good starting point.

You need a library to make a game with graphic.
I recommend SDL because it release under LGPL.This license is almost freedom.
Here is a site to learn SDL:
http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/
I think lesson 1 to lesson 29 is enough.After lesson 29 are very advance tutorial(it is not hard but useless).
*This tutorial can help you to learn SDL.It can also improve your c++ knowledge.(I was C++ idiot too!)

Quote:
Secondly Is there a very very good book i can get and study that can show/teach me how to apply c++ programming in making simple games like this with illustrated examples in it as i continue to learn C++ progamming.

I think book is not required.Book is booster.If you don't care about the speed of learning.You can learn it from internet,just like me.

It is not that hard to make a simple game.I think you can learn to make it in a few month.
Hope it help. :)
-Game Over!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement