how can i develop a simple game

Started by
7 comments, last by game over 14 years, 2 months ago
Good day eveyone, i've been tryin to get answers to this problem that i've got.the thing is i've got very little c++ programming knowledge and i want to develop a simple game like tetris but i don't know where or how to start neither do i know what kinda of tools i need.Secondly Is there a very very good book i can get and study that can show/teach me how to apply c++ programming in making simple games like this with illustrated examples in it as i continue to learn C++ progamming.Any advice wud be very very apreciated.thanks a ton.
Advertisement
try Allegro, good engine for beginning. and there are many tutorials :)
You may want to do some simple games that run in command prompt first, to get a better grasp at the language. That will help you gain the knowledge required to think of where to start. When I started building a tetris clone in Java, I started it by building a class that basically maintained a multi-dimensional array of numbers. I used the numbers in a switch to determine what to output. I later though created a Box class which the array contained. I worked on having a single square fall at a looped time, and then having it stop when it reaches the bottom, or another stopped block.

My point is, take a bigger problem in steps.
Quote:Original post by I Fuad I

While I can't comment on whether Allegro is any good or not I just wanted clarify that Allegro isn't an engine any more than Direct3D is an engine.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

All I can say, that every problem solving starts with a piece of paper and a pen.
The more time I spend here on the forums, the more I feel that most of the people don't know these tools at all.
Quote:Original post by nobodynews

While I can't comment on whether Allegro is any good or not I just wanted clarify that Allegro isn't an engine any more than Direct3D is an engine.

Im pretty sure it's a library.

Quote:Original post by KyleM
Quote:Original post by nobodynews

Im pretty sure it's a library.
OGRE is a library and it is also an engine. Allegro is a library and it is not an engine.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

I was in your same position & the best way to learn a game is start as simply as possible.

I would ask myself these questions 1st:
- Do I know how to use & create functions in c++?
- Do I know how to use classes &/or structures in c++?
- Do I have exeperience using the console input & output(meaning using cin & cout)

If you can answer yes to all of these I would try to create a simple naughts & crosses(AKA Tick Tack Toe) game because it would need functions, not necessarily classes & it would definitely need console input.

If you can only answer yes to one of these questions then I would start on a really simple game making app call "Game Maker 8" which is great for novices & will be a good starting point.
You need a library to make a game with graphic.
I recommend SDL because it release under LGPL.This license is almost freedom.
Here is a site to learn SDL:
http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/
I think lesson 1 to lesson 29 is enough.After lesson 29 are very advance tutorial(it is not hard but useless).
*This tutorial can help you to learn SDL.It can also improve your c++ knowledge.(I was C++ idiot too!)

Quote:Secondly Is there a very very good book i can get and study that can show/teach me how to apply c++ programming in making simple games like this with illustrated examples in it as i continue to learn C++ progamming.

I think book is not required.Book is booster.If you don't care about the speed of learning.You can learn it from internet,just like me.

It is not that hard to make a simple game.I think you can learn to make it in a few month.
Hope it help. :)
-Game Over!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement