Sign in to follow this  
Mitchell-Vernon

[web] How much would it cost to buy a flash game?

Hello, my first website is currently up, it still needs more content, polishing bits and pieces along with changing a few things. It's been on google for a few weeks now, just the worst rank possible I don't get any hits from it. I did some advertising by being those annoying spamers(posting the odd post on youtube etc) and I was getting around 20 hits a day. When I stopped the hits also stopped. So I was thinking of either buying a cheap flash games license then putting my logo or whatever at the beginning...one problem i'm currently short on cash and i'm wondering how much it would set me back? 2nd I would hope to find someone(if you interested post :P) who is new-ish to flash game development but with a decent game, they then would allow me to put my stuff on the beginning and then trying to get it on a few well known gaming sites. This will then bring people to my site and also could be a break through for the game developer along with getting some money i get from advertising. 3rd I could learn flash(i have made a basic game before with flash) and hopefully make something mediocre which will then hopefully be put across large game websites and then bring a decent number to my site. What do you think? A good idea or bad? Website is: www.Nex-games.net still under development, my first site all crits welcome =]

shadowcomplex    445
To answer your direct question: it can range from $100 to $1000's of dollars. It all depends on which game. You should head over to Flash Game License. There you can register as a sponsor and bid on games that you are interested in sponsoring (and thus getting your splash screen into the game.)

In general, I think you'll find getting web traffic without money to be less than easy, especially when SEO for flash game sites is extremely competitive. Not only do you need to get users to your site, you need to be able to retain them (which can in turn sponsor free word of mouth advertising and thus get you into a nice positive feedback loop.)

Bringing people to your site for flash games means that you're going to need something unique and captivating (or spend money on advertising.) Bidding on and then sponsoring popular games is one way (although not easy with little cash) and the other is to develop your own, high quality flash games or partner with a developer who exclusively provides you with this content, like you mentioned. The thing is, the latter is very unlikely since Flash Game License is the de facto standard for getting sponsorship for a game.

Quote:
Original post by shadowcomplex
To answer your direct question: it can range from $100 to $1000's of dollars. It all depends on which game. You should head over to Flash Game License. There you can register as a sponsor and bid on games that you are interested in sponsoring (and thus getting your splash screen into the game.)

In general, I think you'll find getting web traffic without money to be less than easy, especially when SEO for flash game sites is extremely competitive. Not only do you need to get users to your site, you need to be able to retain them (which can in turn sponsor free word of mouth advertising and thus get you into a nice positive feedback loop.)

Bringing people to your site for flash games means that you're going to need something unique and captivating (or spend money on advertising.) Bidding on and then sponsoring popular games is one way (although not easy with little cash) and the other is to develop your own, high quality flash games or partner with a developer who exclusively provides you with this content, like you mentioned. The thing is, the latter is very unlikely since Flash Game License is the de facto standard for getting sponsorship for a game.

Thanks very helpful, i'm going ti go looking around flash game license.

soitsthateasy    100
Just critiquing your website.
I like it, just a few pointers.

1)Keep your stylesheet and javascript in a separate file and link to it using a src tag.
2)Have a link to a full library of your games and that instead of just having new and most popular games on the homepage.

That's about it, nice website!