Quake 3 is out.

Started by
5 comments, last by Azrael 24 years, 4 months ago
Thank you for the information about quake 3 release, but it is not the idea to put that kind of messages to this conference. There is n+1 places in net telling that quake 3 demo has been released + blablabla.

But how quake 3 got anything do with powerrender ?

Advertisement
You mean quake 3 wasn't made with power render?
William Reiach - Human Extrodinaire

Marlene and Me

Well partially you are right quake 3 particle system was made in PR 3...
just kidding.

Well I think all of us who have been working in the PR character system can certainly agree that quake has a lot to do with PR, I mean to be honest I didnt even knew the quake 2 model page existed until I began working in my own. Quake is not just a game,it is a standard of technology for the PC game market that we must fight to achieve (read that as achieve not copy, no q3 clones please!) and if possible improve. This is not a suggestion is simply what our possible future game users are going to demand.

So I think any project to achieve quake 3 technology is simply a step towards the right direction, and of course it all starts by seing this technology in action and possibly buying it to support this sort of technology research.

PR projects about reading q3 models or even levels may follow, since ID releases this sort of information in order to make it available to anyone interested in making this technology grow. It wont be easy though but probably it will be necessary.

well, what u say is kind of rigth, quake2 and 3 is the technology standard we must reach but for technologycal advances only, reach a real time realistic render system. that is all good but to release it every month its as bad as it gets. if u want to play quake3 and upcoming games u need the latest hardware in 3d cards. something that is very unfair. computer technoly is goin up in an extreamely fast pace(ust a couple of years ago doom was the ultimate in 3d and now it would not stand a hair against the new 3d engines)
but u guys as programmers dont really care to much, the real time render system is the thing that u want to reach and have, some gamers migth want that, but i would love if a game using the quake1 engine if only it was good, millions of hours playing times good.
Well... do anyone of you remember what sanity said in their demos? Why bother, if you cant do it better.

Just a message that I think might be interesting for the game programming community, Quake 3 arenna got released today december 6 1999 (12/6/1999) Im downloading the demo right now from www.idsoftware.com

I think you should check it, I mean quake has been the van garde technology we all have been using and this time I think it wont be different.

A couple of years ago? about 8 years ago as I remember. time passes really quickly when you are having fun.

But anyway I think both of you are right, I mean why exactly in this day and era I will be trying to create a software oriented 3d engine with all the 3d capabilities and speed that a 3d card has (which may be impossible by the way) if I can go out and simply buy one? Ill be doing 50% of the work and focus more on my game itself. (and they wont be expensive for that long, remember when the sound card was a luxury and now you get one free with your PC? expect exactly the same)

However you have given a good reason to do that, because the hardware needed is too expensive today .So, thats what I meant by improving the technology
and I think making it available to more users is a very good improvement, and thats were some cleaver programming steps in.. and possibly is a good pr 3 project.

[This message has been edited by Azrael (edited December 07, 1999).]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement