Sign in to follow this  
Lesan

Report Progress

Lesan    440
Hi everyone, the contest end date is March 17th which is approximately one month from now. Everyone who is participating in the contest, please post here so that we can have an idea of how many contestants there are. Also, it is probable that due to the small size of the contest and small number of contestants, the only judging made will be that of the community so when it happens, be fair!

fang    157
Hi greetings to all the contestants!

I've been away for quite a while and didn't know UFEC was going on until today! It's just one month away from deadline. How I wished i have spotted this last October.

Anyway I had a game in mind the minute i saw the four elements. I won't have time to make a full game but still i'll try my best to complete a simple one before the deadline.

Good luck to everyone and may the best game win :)

Lesan    440
Hey fang, the same thing happened to me back during Four Elements V !

I noticed the Four Elements contest in November 1st and the contest ended 31rd. I made a simple game, I worked one hour per day and in the end, I took 18th place out of 24. It could have been more if I had an artist and a musician.

So nothing is yet lost.

ne0_kamen    371
I intend to finish my entry in the allocated time.
Perhaps we can extend the deadline a bit for those who can't complete their games in time,or better yet - for those who are wondering whether entering at this stage is worth it.
After all,it would make no good to anyone,if at the final there are no games at all.

XDigital    181
I'm hopefully finishing in time. However I have to reduce requirements a bit. Because of missing g++ compiler on windows, I think I have to skip the Windows port if I do not manage to get Cycle running during this weekend. Also the Maemo port has to be skipped...
It's ok for me, if judging is done by community.

fang    157
Thanks Lesan, I'll sure do my best to add a new entry.

On the deadline postponing, I'm sure there are contestants who have been mostly on schedule, so extending the deadline won't be fair for them. Although I myself can use more time, not changing the deadline certainly won't prevent me from putting an entry on the list (albeit an ugly one). I guess maybe we can decide on a secondary deadline (sth like April 15 ... tax?:) so newcomers still have two months to work, and those who finish before the original deadline will get a bonus. Of course those who make the original deadline can still improve after it, exchanging the deadline bonus for a better game.

Jason Petrasko    152
I'm in crunch mode, so its about a 50/50 chance of an entry being ready on time. I just wish I had gotten started sooner, which would have made this much easier :) In total I think I wasted almost two months forming an idea, which is costly.

Lesan    440
So, should the deadline be remain on March 17th (four days from now) or should it be moved?

Unless someone has another idea, there will be no set deadline. Upload your setup file anywhere and put a link in Your Entry section on the UFEC website. On March 20th, a judging interface will be ready, where every registered user will be able to submit feedback and vote on other entries. Voting only without feedback is not acceptable.

There will be a judging period up to April 10th (three weeks). You can submit your entry during this period but if you submit late, you might not get much feedback.

Though I don't think all this will matter much. It doesn't seem we'll have as many entries as I hoped for.

fang    157
have been working very hard for the past month (luckily I've got tons of free time). I think I'll be able to upload my entry before mar 17.

ne0_kamen    371
I think I will launch an alpha in a few days (missing the deadline though).
I've been dealing mainly with different optimizations lately, which indeed took longer than expected.
Still my current plan is to release an 'almost completed alpha' early in the judging period and update as needed.

Looking forward to play some of my competitors' games!

fang    157
Finally uploaded my entry, it's called Lord of the Elementals. Everyone is welcome to try it!

Notice:
There's a good chance you'll run into some bugs (because i really didn't have much time to test thoroughly), so let's pray they won't do permanent damage to your computer, or your body.

XDigital    181
OK, I used WikiFortio to upload my game. Unfortunately I did not manage to compile on Windows. Sun has a free virtual box, which you can use on Windows to install Ubuntu without any problems (did it myself).

Quote:

Notice:
There's a good chance you'll run into some bugs (because i really didn't have much time to test thoroughly), so let's pray they won't do permanent damage to your computer, or your body.

*signed*

fang    157
Quote:
Original post by XDigital
OK, I used WikiFortio to upload my game. Unfortunately I did not manage to compile on Windows. Sun has a free virtual box, which you can use on Windows to install Ubuntu without any problems (did it myself).

looked at your discussion thread and wow'ed. your graphics is amazing! too bad i don't have a ubuntu at hand, but I'll definitely play your game once I get that virtual box working.

[Edited by - fang on March 18, 2010 2:33:29 PM]

Lesan    440
PhpMyAdmin on our host's server doesn't work well and I forgot the names of the columns and I'm just too lazy to write a script to give me the names so the judging system will have to wait. Hopefully it will be up in a few days. Judging period will be prolonged accordinly, for now to March 17th.

Once some more people post their entries (I hope for ne0_kamen and rip-off, at least), I'll post an invitation for judges in the Your Announcements forum and on the main page.

Erik Rufelt    5901
I checked out the two games posted, very nice! =)
Didn't play enough to learn any good strategies yet, but I'll try again later and post my opinions with the judging system.

I started to make a game of my own, but unfortunately I didn't finish in time, and it's mostly still a prototype, though playable. I'm not sure if it qualifies, in respect to the evolution element.. you get upgrades that increase your firepower, but the main evolution element was supposed to be that the aliens you fight evolve from level to level, but I didn't get that far. The other elements are that you shoot fire, some enemies proliferate by dividing in 2, and the third level is under water.

Here's a link to the game if anyone wants to try. It's XNA, and only uses SM 2.0, but when I tried it on a Win7 machine with integrated graphics it failed to work, so probably requires a bit better hardware.. not really optimized, wastes some memory. No sounds, and warning for programmer art, made everything myself in blender. =)
TestGame.zip.

Erik Rufelt    5901
I have a question on the judging system. When pressing submit feedback, some of the entries have information already filled in.. is that just because I haven't submitted anything, or am I supposed to add to what others have written?
Just so that I don't overwrite something someone else has written.

Lesan    440
Ouch.
There seems to be a problem in the scoring system. A big problem, actually.
I'm not sure what it is just yet, but what I see in the database is one judging only plus all my judgings.

No other data are stored.

What you should see is zeroes and empty boxes, not prefilled text.
I will correct the problem as soon as possible.
Until then, please save your feedback on your computer.

And I'm sorry for the data you lost.

Lesan    440
The problem corrected.
Judging should now work as normal.

The problem was in the SQL query that selects judging information from database.
The query was: SELECT * FROM judging WHERE game = {ID} while it should be SELECT * FROM judging WHERE game = {ID} AND judge = {JID}.

I didn't notice it first, because, of course, it works fine if there is only one judge.

rip-off    10979
Good that you've fixed that, I was going to provide some feedback but found the form pre-filled out, so I left it be.

Have we some kind of deadline for feedback, to wrap this up? Something like two weeks from now?

Lesan    440
Well, it used to be April 20th, but with this error, let`s move it to April 27.

EDIT: But we will not prolong the period indefinitely. That`s exactly the thing that destroyed the original Four Elements.

Sign in to follow this