Sign in to follow this  
fungrim

Cubeia Firebase is now Open Source

Hi all, I'll admit from the start that this is a shameless plug, but I figured there might be someone here interested anyway :-) So... we released our multiplayer server Firebase in an community edition (CE) the other day. It's completely open, comes with source code and is extremely easy to get going with (if you know Java). You can find the community site here. So what is it exactly? Well, here's a quick rundown:
  • A multiplayer server for a partitioned world where clients interact within areas (called "tables" in Firebase).
  • Server side programming in Java (currently, we're working on support for scripting in ruby, groovy, javascript etc).
  • Client programming in, well anything. We've released the Flash/Flex API and a small Java connector at the moment. We have generated protocol objects for C/C++, C# etc available and may release them soon as well. However... (see below)
  • The network protocol for connecting, loging in, joining "tables" (which is our name for an "area" or a "room") etc. is a binary open protocol.
  • For those requiring a "lobby" or similar data, we've got it built in. With a subscription based model over hierarchical data, and incremental updates.
  • TCP-only at the moment. Firebase was primarily build to do round-based games and casual games. But the latency is fairly low on the CE anyway, so the door is wide open to try more latency dependent games.
  • Built-in, simple, IRC-like support for chatting.
There's a bit more to it, but I think you get the idea. Have a look and tell me what you think! I'll hang a round this thread and I'll try to answer any questions. Oh and: I've got a rather cocky "write a multiplayer game in 10 minutes" blog post here, feel free to slam it. :-D Edited: Formatting...