Sign in to follow this  
MrHadley

The Virtual Force Field (VFF)

I really need some information about VFF. Im going to assign a task in my project that involves this VFF but the downside is that i havent tested this myself so i dont have any clue on the timeline. The game we are working on is a Top-Down shooter with environment that the enemies should avoid. We have stones, pillars and other objects the ai should avoid. We have both concave and convex surfaces. The game map isnt that large, maybe 1.5 screen in height and width. So my question is. How long does it take to implement a VFF into a game? Can anyone recommend a pathfinding routine that is good to use in this case? //F

Ok thanks for the reply we have currently tested some forms of obstacle avoidance but we cant get the results we want.

The collisions we have in the world is built by splines, everytime we collide with the world its a spline we collide with. So its not just objects we collide with the movable area is sealed off with splines.

But i will test some more with obstacle avoidance.

Im still wondering if anyone has an idea on VFF how long it would take?

//F

My 15second google expertise suggests that VFF is a solution for real-world robotic path planning. This is not the real world so that seems like a bad solution.

Remember that in your virtual world you know the exact state of everything. It sounds like all your obstacles are static, so why not just have a pre-compute phase for your maps and use A* for pathfinding? If those obstacles are placed at runtime you can just disable nodes in a more regularly spaced search graph.

For dynamic object avoidance (that is avoiding moving objects) look in to the solutions that InnocuousFox has provided.

-me