Please redesign my character

Started by
10 comments, last by FlaiseSaffron 14 years, 1 month ago
This is a character I designed back when I was in high school. Since he was my first creation, I placed a lot of love into the little guy and have featured him in 3 games. Unfortunately, I want to make the transition from 2D games to 3D games and have found that Kyle(the name of my character) has become very unwieldy. His proportions are a bit off and don't work well if turned into a 3D model. Since I can't bring myself to it, may I please ask for a request. I would like anyone reading this to take the ideas placed in the pictures below and redesign my character any way you want. I would like to see how he would look if he where designed using a different style. Please post pictures (or links to pictures) of what you have created. I would like to see how kyle would look re-imagined by someone else. My desgin Additional reference
Advertisement
Visual Arts may be able to aid you better than Game Design so I'll move this there.
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Thanks
I don't really see what's wrong with the proportions, other than maybe the antennas being too big. In 3D a character like that should have proportions similar to Mario:

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

You know what, your right. Early N64 games had characters that didn't have necks. I would still like to see how the character would look if the style was changed though.
Is his head supposed to be a block or a cylinder? Can't really tell from the provided reference.

Also as a note, it's usually a good idea to avoid big feet on characters, because it makes it incredibly difficult to animate without having intersecting geometry. Some character designs can get around this by giving the character tall and skinny proportions (think goofy or kingdom hearts characters) But your guy is short and squatty so there's really no room for those huge feet.

So anyway, back to my original question... Is he more of a blocky character or did you envision him rounded? His head, body and legs just look like blocks to me. Is that what they should be?
[size="3"]Thrones Online - Tactical Turnbased RPG
Visit my website to check out the latest updates on my online game
His head is a cube. When I animate him in 2D, I tend to treat the head as if it were a cylinder.
Also, it would be nice if legs were added. This would solve the problem with the feet.
I whipped this together. I dunno if this is what you were wanting, but I had fun with it anyway. =)

I like it, especially what you did with the legs.

Could you please send me the model. I would like to edit it with milkshape.
Oh I didn't know you wanted the model as well. I made it with Lightwave so it doesn't exactly transition over to Milkshape very well.

It's actually a lightwave model, a rig in a lightwave scene file, and the photoshop file for the face texture.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement