Hieroglyph 3 Rendering Engine

Started by
6 comments, last by Jason Z 14 years, 1 month ago
For those who are interested, I've recently created an open source project out of my Direct3D 11 renderer named 'Hieroglyph 3'. You can find the project page here. The project is still in its early stages, but the renderer interfaces are fairly stable. There are several demo programs added to the distribution to demonstrate how the library is used. The documentation is still in progress, but the renderer demonstrates how to do many things in Direct3D 11 already and can be used as a resource. My intention is to continue adding demo projects as I move along, as well as build up the documentation to an acceptable level. Of course, I am always interested in feedback (good or bad) so please let me know if you have any comments! I hope the project serves as a good start in D3D11 programming, and grows into a resource for rendering algorithm examples.
Advertisement
A suggestion, maybe put some screenshots on the main page there? People might be more interested if they could see what it looks like. =)
I'll be sure to check it out and send over some comments once the MVP summit is over.
Need lots of purdy art assets to lure in developers :-o

Screenshots might be paramount WRT a rendering engine/framework ;-) so put those out front. I remember the SSAO and the elephant from your journal for starters.

Plus maybe videos, since some people would want to see your D3D11 demos in motion but maybe don't have access to the hardware or the OS? Or just thumbnails for each of the application demos might work.

Source code looks nice and clean. Well organized and formatted, good work man.

I could maybe donate some art assets from some of my projects, high poly models 4096^2 color/norm/spec maps...and you could tessellate 'em and work your DX11 wizardry on them. Not sure if artwork is a bottleneck for you, or what you plan on that front to show off the renderer.
Thanks for the comments everyone - it sounds like some imagery is severely lacking, so I'll make that a top priority to get it updated. At the moment my art assets are basically a cube that I made in Milkshape3D, so if someone (Danny!) is interested in working something out like that it would be really great.

Also, the demo programs are still a bit basic but I have started today to import some of my more interesting concepts into new demos that will actually show off the D3D11 features. I'm planning on trying to incorporate as much feedback from the community as possible, so please let me know if you have a particular algorithm that you would like to see in a demo!

I'm off to make some screen shots now...
My apologies for necro-ing this thread, but I've updated the project page with some simple descriptions and images of the more advanced samples that are available with the engine up to now. Of course, there are several more samples that show the basic usage, but they are intended more for demonstration of the engine than anything else.

As always, please let me know any feedback or sample algorithms that you would like to have added to the engine and I'll do my best to incorporate your ideas!
I'm curious in the performance differences between the standard way of doing SSAO and using the compute shader. Have you run any benchmarks for comparison?
That's precisely what is described in the Game Programming Gems 8 chapter. With some limitations, there is a benefit to using the group shared memory as a cache for the technique. This makes sense, since the main beneficiary of having the GSM as a cache is image processing algorithms due to the reduced bandwidth and texture thrashing. There is also newer instructions that help as well, such as the *.Gather functions, that improve performance.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement