Sign in to follow this  
PureBlackSin

Unity Gamedev MMORPG/Non-MMORPG Project

PureBlackSin    128
Hi guys, this morning in the shower i was thinking about the way that MMORPGs are created and how to get enough programmers focused on the same thing. I realised how to do it and came up with: The (unofficial) GameDev Game Project. THE WHY's After seeing my (what seemed to be) millionth typical thread: "I want to create a MMORPG, and need a 3 man team to make it and what language/graphics/engine/any other basic part of an MMORPG" I felt sorry for these people as they will possibly not be able to finish the project and will give up well before they're finished and putting them off coding. Gamedev mine of intelligent, ingenuity and talent can be tapped into which is a massive resource of writes, programmers (of all types and specialities) and artists, that could club together and with a bit of input from everyone could lead to colossal results. This project would allow experienced programmers to flaunt their talents and new programmer (particularly the "i want to build the next biggest MMORPG to rival WOW" types) to feel part of a project/MMORPG. This will finally be good for the last two programmer types i can think of, the hobbyist, and those thinking about a career in programming. The hobbyist will have somewhere where he can tinker with code and still contribute, instead of leaving half an unfinished project, and the career programmer will experience what it is like to work on a project in a large development team. Anyway, enough of whys, you probably read the title and made your conclusions anyway, this would definitely be the case if you have seen your fair share of MMORGP threads on Gamedev. THE HOW's and WHERE's I'm planning on setting aside some of my website (myndoko.com /.co.uk) to this project, dedicated forums and ways to deal with new code could be added here, with daily builds being available, along with the source (to registered developers). There would be a core team of developers, insuring standards and coding are good and controlling direction of the project, todo lists etc. would be set by these guys. I'm still deciding on the genre, type of game and gameplay, but i would be nice to get some feed back and even let the writers decide, or the whole community have a vote. Weather or not the code goes commercial or becomes fully open source is a different matter but this can be decided if there is enough interest. As soon as i see how much support his idea has, i will fill in the blanks with an official project name, type etc. Any comments welcome, if you will support this project post and post any questions/suggestions. Cheers PureBlackSin

jpetrie    13159
This belongs in Help Wanted. There is a mandatory template for posting in that forum; since this post doesn't conform, I'm closing this rather than moving it. You may repost in the appropriate forum provided you conform to the template.