How do we develop for PSN Store?

Started by
3 comments, last by Hodgman 14 years, 2 months ago
I've been wondering about this for a while... I pretty much know everything I need to know on how to develop for Wiiware and XNA, but how do we develop for Sony's PlayStation Network? As in, downloadable games. What kind of engine is supported, language, if a devkit is needed... pretty much anything.
Advertisement
As I understand it, the PSN Store is like Xbox Live Arcade - you have to be a registered developer with Sony and you need a devkit. Otherwise, it's similar to developing a full PS3 game (as opposed to, say, XNA/Xbox Live Indie Games)
Hmm. I heard Unity was on its way to supporting PS3...
You (actually, your company) must be registered developers with Sony. That means the business must have the resources to fully develop the title and bring it to market. You need to show a full business with money and talent.

Support for PS3 does not mean everybody can use it. There are quite a few companies that offer middleware and engine code for consoles. Just because the code works on a console does not mean that console development is a free-for-all.

Sorry. [depressed]
Also, XBLA and PSN are not open platforms -- even if you are a registered/licenced developer, you still need to secure a publishing agreement with them in order to get your game on their store. They're actually pretty picky about which games they let in and how many they let in.

Even Steam (which is supposedly an open platform that anyone can use to sell their games) occasionally refuses to publish a game, even from reputable developers...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement