• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Brainsaw

Stunt Marble Racers - network marble racing

This topic is 3049 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, my current project (already announced with it's old title "marbles2 - the race") has come quite a bit further. The main change within the last months is the network support for up to 4 players. This feature is designed for LAN playing with low ping times. It uses a "brute force" approach where position updates are sent for every simulation step. This works really well in my test network at home (where I only have 3 computers at most). Any comments are welcome. Resources used: - Irrlicht for graphics - OpenDE for physics - enet with a wrapper from the Irrlicht forums for networking - some code snippets from the Irrlicht forum The network feature is going to get some re-design. Currently you can only start single races, I want to make it net-gaming tournaments. If you are a client you have to enter the server's IP address in the edit field, not the computer name. I don't yet show the server's IP address on the server screen, so you have to find it out another way (e.g. in Windows "run --> cmd --> ipconfig") Some problems with occasional crashes are still in the network mode. When you start a server or client and you have to grant access to the net in your local firewall the game often crashes. Also if you restart a server it is currently not possible to connect to it, so the program should be restarted. Apart from that all test session I have done together with my brother were some real fun.

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!