Sign in to follow this  
Lith

SDL commerical use?

Lith    429
I think this is the right place to put this, but im not sure. Let's say i make a game with SDL, can i sell the game and make money from it? I have looked on the SDL website on the licensing page, but im a bit confused, because it says that only version 1.3 is availible for commercial use, but does that mean modifying the source code and selling the new version of SDL, or is it the thing you make with it? It says you can't use version 1.2 for commercial use, but again, does that mean selling a version of SDL, or selling the tings you make with SDL? Im abit lost...

summaky    134
Quote:
Original post by Lith
I think this is the right place to put this, but im not sure.

Let's say i make a game with SDL, can i sell the game and make money from it?

Yes. You won't be the first to do so.

Quote:
Original post by Lith
I have looked on the SDL website on the licensing page, but im a bit confused, because it says that only version 1.3 is availible for commercial use, but does that mean modifying the source code and selling the new version of SDL, or is it the thing you make with it?

It says you can't use version 1.2 for commercial use, but again, does that mean selling a version of SDL, or selling the tings you make with SDL?

What the licensing page tells is that version 1.2 is under the LGPL license while version 1.3 will be available with a commercial license.

If you look at the linked LGPL license page available at SDL's home page, it says:

Quote:

You must also do one of the following:

1. Link with the library as a shared object (e.g. SDL.dll or libSDL.so)
2. Provide the object or source code to your application along with any libraries and custom tools not available with a standard platform development kit. You may also simply provide a written offer, valid for three years, to provide these materials upon request to anyone with a legal copy of your application.

Basically, this means that you can make a commercial game with SDL and sell it but you must abide to these restrictions, which aren't too horrible.

There are more license obligations, such as distributing the source code of the SDL version you use (or a written offer blah, blah.)

For more information, please see SDL's LGPL page and the whole LGPL text.

Lith    429
Thankyou for the reply, just one more question, you said that i had to do 1 of 2 things, one of them was "Link with the library as a shared object"

Does that mean i have to include SDL.dll with my game?

stonemetal    288
Yes, not only that but you must run against SDL.dll so that the user of the application can modify SDL.dll and your program uses the new version of the DLL.