Sign in to follow this  
Tiran Inside

Need sugestion for a book.

Tiran Inside    100
Hi guys! I have posted this thread a month ago(i think)and i finished the book: "accelerated c++". http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=556585 a week ago. Now i started the book Beginning game programming by Jonathan S. Harbour. I would like to hear your opinion for this book and also suggest me another one if you like.

korsen    122
I think you should develop your books one on top of another. So wherver you leave off in your C++ should transition into your DirectX book. I had a nice grasp on C++ until i tried going into DirectX and then it all just went to hell. Nobody went through each process enough the same way you would with C++ i.e. cout will print arrays or integers to the screen, cin will accept input, while loops do whatever etc, nobody went, HWDHandle does handles, but wtf significance does it have in the whole? The same way one might code C++ from memory after a few rounds of use is nigh impossible save for someone with a better background or understanding with DirectX coding from memory.

I couldn't even make a simple window from memory after several chapters and a few days of googling without copy and pasting code, which i'd rather not do unless i'm learning something or i have to.

Whatever you do with your code, PLEASE make sure it's modular enough examplewise that someone could easily interpret the code and translate it in their head into whatever they want to use it for.

I.e.

void main(void){
Cout << "NUTS!"; //Displays NUTS! to the screen
Print("NUTS!"); //Also displays NUTS! to the screen
Int string = "Nuts!"; //Saves the text NUTS!
Cout << string; //Displays the string, which is NUTS!
Print(string); //Prints the string, which is NUTS!
};

Stuff like that would be awfully helpful for beginners who's only exposure to the code could possibly be your book.

Tiran Inside    100
I am sorry korsen but i dont think i understand what you are trying to say. I just read a book called "accelerated c++" and now i want another suggestion for a book about directx programming.
Anyway i am reading beginning game programming J.S. Harbour.

oler1s    585
Quote:
By OP: anyway i am pretty confident with c++, so now i need to jump to directx!
Where's the confidence coming from? After finishing the book, tell us about the programs you wrote. Tell us about the most complicated program you wrote in C++ without a guide online or from the book.

Quote:
Korsen: The same way one might code C++ from memory after a few rounds of use is nigh impossible save for someone with a better background or understanding with DirectX coding from memory.
It's not a memory issue. The DirectX libraries tackle certain design challenges. You are looking at the solution and not able to understand the motivating problems. You can't recognize the motivation for handle classes. You can't accept a level of abstraction in a solution in response.

Quote:
I couldn't even make a simple window from memory after several chapters and a few days of googling without copy and pasting code, which i'd rather not do unless i'm learning something or i have to.
I can't write the code from memory either. But I don't need to copy paste (although I do to save time). Actually, I use libraries instead, but if I have to, I can figure things out through MSDN. The point is, you can't consult documentation and see the code to write because you don't understand the problem. Each line of code solves a certain problem. Since you don't recognize what these problems are:

You're memorizing code. Wrong approach.

oler1s    585
Quote:
I don't think i need to be a expert in c++ to start learning directx programmin
No, you don't.

Quote:
Also i have read other books about programming(pascal, c, c++) and many tutorials.
But what have you programmed? It's a simple question. What programs have you written by yourself with no tutorial or book handholding?

What is the most complex program (in any language) you have written?

Tiran Inside    100
But what have you programmed? It's a simple question. What programs have you written by yourself with no tutorial or book handholding?

What is the most complex program (in any language) you have written?

Does it matter?
I just wanna learn game programming and not windows programming. Anyway i have plenty of time ahead to master c++, because of my young age.
So will anybody answer my simple question?