Am I taking the 'right' path?

Started by
32 comments, last by Slateboard 14 years, 1 month ago
All of these options seem good.

I do want to get into the industry, so I thought that C# was the language to learn given it's connection with XNA.

Advertisement
I spent ages learning to program, I started very very early, and struggled to actually start working as a programmer and still have challenges with no degree. I am going for one. I've watched others go from 0 to doing really awesome stuff in a few years by going to school.

I suggest take a harder look at getting into school.

Quote:I do want to get into the industry, so I thought that C# was the language

C#'s a great language for getting started, though as a pro you'll wind up using tons of languages. You'll learn them as you go. Eventually it won't seem like a big deal.

[Edited by - JoeCooper on February 17, 2010 8:20:47 AM]
Yeah I did enough reading early on to discover that C++ isn't the place to start.

While I'm here, perhaps it'll be fine to ask exactly what scripting languages are and what they're used for?

I'm under the impression they're some kind of 'lightweight' or specialized languages or something.
I wouldn't say they're lightweight - they just solve a different problem.

One thing they enable is quick changes without the need for recompilation of code.

They can be used by non-programmers as well, such as artists, designers etc.
I see. I take it there are multiple scripting languages like there are programming languages?

Also, I got the Head First C# Book, as well as this that I got from a friend - http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Logic-Design-Comprehensive-Farrell/dp/1423901967

I'd like to know if this book could be of any assistance at my current level.

Quote:Original post by Slateboard
I'd like to know if this book could be of any assistance at my current level.

You could try reading it and trying some of the stuff from it and find out. Crazy idea, I suppose...

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

That's Crazy Talk! But I'll try anything at this point.

So far it does appear to be a general programming book. Also, it uses pseudo code.
In game development, scripting languages let you load code at run time.

Take &#106avascript for example. Your web browser can download arbitrary &#106avascript code embedded in the page and execute it. It doesn't have to be compiled into the browser itself.<br><br>If you're writing &#106avascript code, you don't even need to close, recompile and relaunch the browser to test changes; you just hit refresh. With some effort, you can have that in your game. You can have scripted levels, edit things in the script files and see changes without relaunching the whole application.<br><br>If you're in a team - and this is most useful &#111;n big projects - you can teach your content guys some of the scripting language and your game's APIs and they can write custom bots and level events as easily as writing &#106avascript into a web page.<br><br>At this point, this is probably all a bunch of superflous effort. For simple games you can easily write it all in C#. I wrote my first two games (these are hobby level projects) entirely in Java.
That actually sounds very convenient.

I feel like I'm distracting myself while learning this stuff.

Every so often, I come across something new then I get lost in thought wonder what possible applications it could have, or what games probably used it, etc.

And then several minutes have passed.

:(
If you work at it you can catch up. Almost all of this is very, very old.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement