Industry documents

Started by
4 comments, last by Orymus 14 years, 1 month ago
Hi all, I am normally a programmer and a 2d/3d artist, but am having to learn the role of a producer. I was wondering if someone could help me better understand what the following industry documents are and possibly show a basic example? GDD TDD FMS ANNOTATED WIREFRAME (I think, a walkthrough presentation on Powerpoint etc) Thankyou. R EDIT: OK the GDD is the Games Design Document, but can only assume the TDD is a test document? I'm also less clear on what the FMS is and how to go about the wireframe. [Edited by - rebirth on February 16, 2010 12:51:21 PM]
Advertisement
Read the Game Biz Glossary: http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson28.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

GDD - Game Design Document - The full monty, with details covering all aspects of a game's design.
GDO - Game Design Overview - Usually a short, concise overview often used in pitches.
TDD - Technical Design Document - Created by lead/director of technology discussing technical risks, game's architecture, proposed SDKs/libraries to use, etc.

I'm not sure what an FMS document is; FMS if often used as an acronym for File Management System, but I have not personally seen an 'FMS' document.

Edit: Tom's page has a megaton of information!
Edit 2: I had no idea what an annotated wireframe was, but Google brought up this picture: Annotate Wireframe. I've always referred to this kind of thing as an interface layout or interface mock-up.

[Edited by - shadowcomplex on February 16, 2010 2:28:12 PM]
Thanks.

And regarding the research, that website will help out a lot.

Just thought I would share that the FMS is the Final Milestone Schedule and the anotated wireframe is a basic presentation of what the game will look like. I'm not sure how detailed the latter should be, but i'll focus on that last.

R
Quote:Original post by shadowcomplex
GDD - Game Design Document - The full monty, with details covering all aspects of a game's design.
GDO - Game Design Overview - Usually a short, concise overview often used in pitches.
TDD - Technical Design Document - Created by lead/director of technology discussing technical risks, game's architecture, proposed SDKs/libraries to use, etc.

I'm not sure what an FMS document is; FMS if often used as an acronym for File Management System, but I have not personally seen an 'FMS' document.

Edit: Tom's page has a megaton of information!
Edit 2: I had no idea what an annotated wireframe was, but Google brought up this picture: Annotate Wireframe. I've always referred to this kind of thing as an interface layout or interface mock-up.

I'd like to point out the fact that depending on which projects you will work on, some of these documents may be irrelevant, and others may apply.

rebirth, I understand your situation perfectly as I have sort of fallen in that category as well following developments on my work team.

What kind of project are you currently finding yourself in producing stance?
What kind of task management program are you using?
What kind of file management system are you configuring?

These shouldn't affect the GDD in any way, but they could affect a substancial amount of other documents you did not mention. Perhaps it would be better if you knew about them.
The fact you were there before they invented the wheel doesn't make you any better than the wheel nor does it entitle you to claim property over the wheel. Being there at the right time just isn't enough, you need to take part into it.

I have a blog!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement