Sign in to follow this  
LegACy99

Texture Qualities

LegACy99    100
Okay, let's get to the point. I've noticed that in most of the game I've played, the player can adjust the quality of textures that is used in the game. I'm just wondering how do people set their game to use more than one texture. Do they include various quality of texture in the game (which would takes up a lot of space)? Or is it simply using mipmaps somehow? Or what? Thanks in advance!

JustChris    150
My guess is that auto-generated mipmaps will work for almost all cases, and the mip level is explicitly set in order to get the level of quality you want for the texture. Even if each texture is custom resized before being packaged into the game, the memory usage doesn't increase that much. If a 1024x1024 texture is used as the base, the total area of all possible textures reduced by a power of two will only be 1/3 the size of a 2048x2048 texture.

Nik02    4348
The quality setting could also affect whether to use compressed textures or not. Texture compression results in lower memory / bandwidth utilization (which is good) but also in degradation in quality (which is bad).