Sign in to follow this  
duluxe

How to do "matrix palette batching"

duluxe    100
Hi everyone , Here are my story : My artist gave me an animation with have 32 bones and every vertex is influenced by all 32 bones ( in Collada file format ) . I want to render it using matrix palette ( OpenGL ES) technique but on iphone the maximum bones per mesh is 9 bones and the maximum bones can influence a vertex is 3. I've heard a technique called "matrix palette batching" ( not sure what it's officially called, though ) which break large meshes into sub-mesh . But not sure how to do it . I asked my artist and he had no idea either. I searched all over the internet but found little information about this. Could anyone show we where I want to look for ? Thanks very much.

bzroom    647
I would tell your artist he's a nut and needs to reduce the bone influence to 1 or 2. You want to do do 32 matrix multiplies per vertex? on an iphone?

You can process the file yourself though. With thresholding on the bone weights, reduce the bone count per vertex to something reasonable like 3. Then break the mesh into collections of faces that reference no more than 9 bones as a group.

The rest is pretty self explanatory.