Sign in to follow this  
Slather

VC++ exits unexpectantly. Also, debug console won't close!

Slather    307
I'm having two weird problems with VC++ 2008. Sometimes it just exits with no prompt when I attempt to run a release build from the IDE. And much more annoyingly, sometimes in debug mode when there's an access violation I hit "break" and then "stop debugging" at the top- it stops debugging but won't close the console window... Which is ok except that I can't close the console window, or even shut down my computer because it won't close! I'll probably end up reinstalling VC++, but has anyone had these problems or know what causes them? [Edited by - Slather on February 17, 2010 7:50:34 PM]

frob    44973
There are several causes for no-message crashes. Usually the are related to plugins or extensions to the IDE. When it happens it should generate a message in the OS event log.

For your other problem, Google shows this thread, it looks like the problem started a week or so ago. They are blaming the recent KB977165 patch, and removing the patch seems to work for a few people. The patch has been known to cause problems with malware-infected machines, so you might want to scan for that while you're at it.

Buckeye    10747
This thread here on gamedev discusses a similar, if not the same, issue. And it certainly started more than just a few weeks ago. I had a similar problem a couple months ago - not with the console window, but with a windowed DirectX app. The window closed but the process was still alive and couldn't be killed.

Like you, windows wouldn't shutdown or restart, and I had to do a hard power-down to clear it.

I eventually fixed a bug in the app which didn't seem to appear in the debug build, and the problem went away.

FYI - VS2008, Standard Edition.

Slather    307
Thank you both. In the link that frob gave me, someone figured out that windows update KB978037 seemed to be the culprit. I used Windows Update Remover to remove that update, and I haven't had a problem since.