What should I learn to be a game programmer?

Started by
5 comments, last by mcnation 22 years, 8 months ago
Hi~ I am a high school student studying c++. Someone told me that it''s good way to learn game programming by this course -> c,c++ -> VC++(windows programming) -> API -> MFC -> DX -> general game programming but I don''t understand what should I learn in the future.. especially after finishing windows programming. I don''t know what can I do with DX and what I have to learn to be a game pragrammer.. I mean, I wanna know about AI, graphic programming, making tools. I understand those will be programmed by C++ in windows. But I don''t understand what''s the facts or details for those programming.. please give me an advice. bye.
Hi~ I''m a beginner.
Advertisement
That list looks about right, except I reccomend learning the Win32 API instead of MFC. I learned MFC originally, thinking it was superior to the Win32 API, but when I began learning DX, I switched over to Win32, because it was more effecient and easier to implement. Learn the fancy stuff later..... I reccomend Tips of the windows game programming gurus, because it will teach you DirectX, then fancy game programming tricks. You have a c++ course in your highschool? Lucky bastard.

-Forcas

"Elvis is alive. He is Barney the purple dinosaur. He is the pied piper that leads our children into the wages of sin and eternal damnation."

-Forcaswriteln("Does this actually work?");
Once you get to game programming, it''s pretty much a learn as you go. There is no path inside of game programming, you learn what you need to finish the specific program you are working on, while picking up a few things here and there that aren''t really related to it but interesting none the less. Just start very simple to not overload yourself, a common mistake of many newbies (including myself).

I know only that which I know, but I do not know what I know.
I recomend you visit sites like this one a lot,
goto Amazon.com and to a search on books that
cover specidifc things you want to learn at
a specific moment, etc...

Im currently learning multiplayer game programming,
so i bought the book from prima series...

But not everyone has this type of budget liberty.

Visit lots & lots of sites wit game programming
tutorial. I learning game programming from tutorials
like those, from Aardvark and other tutorial writers
(today they''re dinosaurs...)

I hope you have a nice life, hehehe
(I say this to everyone starting computer programming,
cause you just have to be crasy to do it!)

Hugo Ferreira
UniteK Future
LV-426 Model 1010 - "Ash" [eot]
I also prefer Win32 over MFC, but it''s completely your choice. Neither is superior to another.

After you get into game programming, there are tons of books out there on algorithms, data structures, AI, and anything else you could want. Take a look in a book store or on amazon like pentium3id said. There are also great tutorials on this site in the reference section. You should also check the links, there are plenty of other sites out there too.

Good luck with everything. Just start simple and work your way up slowly.
And when you''re ready to start on some gameprogramming I recomend one of the articles here on gamedev.net

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/design/features/makegames/

This article give you some tips on what game clones to start your game programmer way-of-life with...

also, the beginners section ("For Beginners") has lots of good articels.

Endre

You can also take a look at OpenGl and BSD socket.

I recommend you to write first a very simple 2D game (shoot them up for example), before beginning to learn about 3D or AI.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement