terrain rendering

Started by
3 comments, last by repka3 14 years, 1 month ago
Hi all, I'm a c++ programmer for robotic company and i'm new in game programming. I'm just reading and following the book Introduction to directx 9.0c: a shader approach" by frank luna and i'm trying to make a basic terrain rendering with blend texturing (following the tutorial in the book). Terrain rendering work but a have a probably noob question about rendering. Even if i do black heightmap, i see lines "connecting texture", lines between quads of terrain grid.From a far view you can perfectly see the "colums" of the grid.. Is this normal? Is there a way to fix and make a more smooth view of terrain ? Here a screenshot(sorry I don't know if vbCode or so is enabled in this forum :) ) http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/3842/problemtr.jpg Thx for your time.
My dev blog: gameluna.blogspot.com
Advertisement
Are you using a single height and just applying that to each "square" of your grid?

They all look very similar if not the same.

Could you apply your height map to the whole field of "squares" or have a different height map for each "square"

I could be completely off base here
The lines visible in that screenshot look to be just a badly tiling texture. Have you made sure that your textures tile properly?

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

It looks to me like what you're seeing is a tiling effect. If you were to stretch a single grass texture across the entire terrain, you would get a very blown up, ugly, green pixelated effect that doesn't really look anything like grass (or dirt, or whatever). In order to avoid that, you tile a smaller texture many times across the terrain mesh, which gives the illusion of a higher resolution texture. Your grass texture has some areas that stand out more than the rest, and the repetition of those areas has the appearance of a grid. If you were to smooth out the more prominently green areas of the grass texture, you would probably see the grid effect diminish.
Thx to all.
Indeed i tryed to load grass texture in photoshop and simply hit button "make pattern". Now the terrain look really smooth. Thx to have cleared concept Shadowflare :)
My dev blog: gameluna.blogspot.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement