Sorting vector of objects by given function

Started by
12 comments, last by WindScar 14 years, 2 months ago
I made my own vector class based on std::vector and I need a function to sorts it's objects by given function, so that call is possible:
myVector vec;
vec.push_back(Point(3,5));
vec.push_back(Point(4,6));
vec.push_back(Point(6,3));
vec.fsort(Point::getx);
So the vector is sorted by the value returned by Point::getx(). I've attempted to do it like this:
class myVector
{
   //stuff
   template <class U>
   void fsort(U (T::*func)())
   {
      //sorting algorythm
   }
}
And it works almost alright, though there are 2 problems: 1. I couldn't make it work using std::sort as I can't configure std::sort's callback to accept the function pointer, so I need to implement my own sort algorithm, and I couldn't find any good (the one I found is about 2.5x slower than std::sort). 2. When I initializate a myVector instance of a non-class type like int or double, the program doesn't compile:
Quote:creating pointer to member function of non-class type `int'
Please point my english mistakes everytime you can.
Advertisement
Does your myVector class inherit from std::vector?

Based on what you've posted at least, it seems to me that std::vector and std::sort() should be perfectly adequate for what you're wanting to do. Here's what the code might look like (not compiled or tested):
bool CompareX(const Point& p1, const Point& p2) { return p1.getx() < p2.getx(); }// ...std::vector<Point> points;// ...std::sort(points.begin(), points.end(), &CompareX);
No, I don't want a function like "comparex", because that would require writing new "compare" functions everytime I store a new kind of object in the vector, or there's a new kind of variable I want to sort from. I just want the vector class totally independent from the type of object I want it to store. Passing the function pointer gives me that. Not CompareX, yes Compare(T::getx). Is that possible?
Quote:Original post by WindScar
No, I don't want a function like "comparex", because that would require writing new "compare" functions everytime I store a new kind of object in the vector, or there's a new kind of variable I want to sort from. I just want the vector class totally independent from the type of object I want it to store. Passing the function pointer gives me that. Not CompareX, yes Compare(T::getx). Is that possible?

Assuming your compare function is simple and does something like < sometimes, > other times, etc, you can just make it a template function:

template<class T>bool is_less(const T& t1, const T& t2) { return t1 < t2; }

As long as t1 and t2 have the appropriate operator, it works. Anyway if you really want to use an arbitrary function pointer, you can use boost::bind

class Bar{};class Foo{public:   bool do_compare(const Bar& b1, const Bar& b2) const   {   }};int main(int argc, char** argv){   std::vector<Bar> v;   Foo comparer;   std::sort(v.begin(), v.end(), boost::bind(&Foo::compare, &comparer, _1, _2));}

If you're using either Visual Studio 2010 Release Candidate or GCC 4.5, you can use C++0x lambdas.

std::vector<Bar> v;   std::sort(v.begin(), v.end(),      [](const Bar& b1, const Bar& b2)      {           b1.x < b2.x;      }   );
Thank you very much but I still can't figure out how that can get the fsort function proposed here to work :\
Forgoing boost et al., you can use a comparator object with std::sort:

#include <algorithm>#include <cstdlib>#include <iostream>template <class T>class myVector{    template <class T, class U>    struct mappedCompare {        U (T::*func)() const;        mappedCompare(U (T::*func)() const)             : func(func) {}        bool operator()(const T& l, const T& r) const {            return (l.*func)() < (r.*func)();        }    };public:    T data[10]; // hack for demo     template <class U>    void fsort(U (T::*func)() const)    {        std::sort(data, data + 10, mappedCompare<T, U>(func));    }};class widget { // hack for demo    int width, height;public:    widget()        : width(std::rand() % 100), height(std::rand() % 100) {}    int getheight() const {        return height;    }};int main() { // hack for demo     myVector<widget> v;    v.fsort(&widget::getheight);    for(int i = 0; i < 10; ++i)        std::cout << i << ": " << v.data.getheight() << "\n";}
Yay! That's cool. But it still doesn't solve the second problem. If you create a myVector with a basic type, the compiler will give the error:

Quote:error: creating pointer to member function of non-class type `int'
Perhaps you should move mappedCompare out of myVector and just allow any comparator to be passed:

template <class U>    void fsort(U comparator)    {        std::sort(data, data + 10, comparator);    }    void fsort()    {        std::sort(data, data + 10);    }// usagemyVector<widget> v;v.fsort(mappedCompare<widget, int>(&widget::getheight));myVector<int> v2;v.fsort();

Btw, why are you rewriting std::vector? :)
Well that'd work but that'd also be some ugly syntax to write, isn't there other workaround?

It's for adding some extra functions like that spetial sort, a null pointer remover, a operator<< overload ;
Heeeeelp!
Quote:Original post by WindScar
For adding some extra functions like that spetial sort, a null pointer remover, a operator<< overload ;
Heeeeelp!
All of these could be implemented as free functions taking a std::vector as a parameter, and indeed, this would be much more sensible.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement