Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Deokhee Lee

OpenGL When we meets OpenGL 1.3?

phueppl1    122
I''m waiting for OpenGL 1.2 first.... it might take some months till it''s available on Windows Systems.. OpenGL 1.3? maybe a few years?

cya,
Phil

Visit Rarebyte!
and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this questions a few times over in the states

Maximus    124
What do you mean 1.2 will take months? Ive been using it for years.

The software driver that comes with windows is only 1.1, but the drivers for most (if not all) hardware is upto 1.2.

SirKnight    316
I dont know if this will work on non nvidia cards but if you want to use opengl 1.2, you can enable it through an extension. GL_VERSION_1_2 is the name of the extension. I use it and it works great.

-SirKnight

Ingenu    1629
It''s only OpenGL1.1 on windows systems, but drivers are made for 1.2 and you can access 1.2 features through the extensions mechanism, however it''s not 1.2.

If it was 1.2 you shouldn''t have to access standard 1.2 functions through extensions.

OpenGL1.3 should be out soon, I hope they''ll release new Red and Blue books very soon after availability.

M$ just don''t like to have to deal with something they have no control over, that''s why they don''t update the OpenGL version in windows.
(They promote DirectX that way)

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-

GKW    200
I thought they were releasing 1.3 at siggraph next weekend.

The fanatic is incorruptible: if he kills for an idea, he can just as well get himself killed for one; in either case, tyrant or martyr, he is a monster.
--EM Cioran

Opere Citato

mittens    1323
*sigh* I really wish I could attend this kind of stuff... And, since I can''t, I really wish they could tell us all this stuff on some geek only channel... And since they can''t, I really wish I could attend this kind of stuff.

But, really, OGL 1.3 is nice in concept, but, how long until windows (the dominant OS) is going to even give us 1.2. I mean, without Windows... OGL will lose some programmers.

------------------------------
Trent (ShiningKnight)
E-mail me
Shining Darkness- A division of Chromesphere Studios

asaari    122
anyone know if they are going to make some of the current extensions like multitextureing and lightmapping standard with the next update?

gmcbay    130
IIRC multitexturing is a standard feature on OpenGL 1.2...The reason its still accessed through the extention mechanism is that OpenGL for Windows is still at 1.1, despite the 1.2 spec being finalized since forever.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
It is not a problem if Krosoft does not release an OpenGl 1.2 implementation!

If you have a decent graphic card, her driver support it.

If you have an old hardware, you can use the MESA software implementation.

And if you''re not happy with Billou, simply install Linux or buy a Mac!

Ranger_One    300
why don''t some smart programmers... (I''d volunteer) write an installer & build an implementation of OGL 1.2 for windows? If the support for 1.2 is in the opengl video drivers, can this be that hard?

Ranger

Null and Void    1088
quote:
Original post by Ranger_One
why don''t some smart programmers... (I''d volunteer) write an installer & build an implementation of OGL 1.2 for windows? If the support for 1.2 is in the opengl video drivers, can this be that hard?

SGI already did. Microsoft won''t let them release it, and just ignores it. Microsoft wrote one too, it''s been going through ''testing'' for way over a year now (from what I read in the ARB meeting notes).

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

GKW    200

Info on OpenGL 1.3

Then I just have to wait for nvidia to leak the drivers.

The fanatic is incorruptible: if he kills for an idea, he can just as well get himself killed for one; in either case, tyrant or martyr, he is a monster.
--EM Cioran

Opere Citato

Alamar    256
What? What''s this I hear?

Wow...from all the talk in the OpenGL vs DX debates, I was under the impression OpenGL only had one version and that it supports everything that''s coming out in the next 300 years...

G''luck,
-Alamar

Null and Void    1088
quote:
Original post by Alamar

What? What''s this I hear?

Wow...from all the talk in the OpenGL vs DX debates, I was under the impression OpenGL only had one version and that it supports everything that''s coming out in the next 300 years...

OpenGL supports anything that can be made into an extension in any version. New versions mean that extensions become standard features, and you can always expect a 100% complient set of drivers to have that feature instead of testing for it first .

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

Zerosignull    122
u c there is one problem with opengl ... its too bloody good!! i meen look at it version 1.1 has been around since about 1995 and has been desighed in such a way that this veriosn could posibly go on forever (still want 1.3 though) just goes show how u should create software!!!

~prevail by daring to fail~

Obelix    122
Sarcasm about something you do not understand is not a good idea. I have the impression that Alamar thinks the new version is about support for new features like a new version of DX.

Slinger    122
Do you really think that Microsoft will even bother releasing 1.2 when 1.3 is here. (that is if they ever do release something, I dont think they ever will)

Ecko    122
I stopped caring about microsoft. If we all develop games or other programs with 1.3 and windows isn''t supported then we''ll have to develop for linux and other operating systems. Microsoft will learn sooner or later

-----------------------------------------------------------
"People who usualy use the word pedantic usualy are pedantic!"-me

_Buster_    122
Yeah,

I know that like most of the people are using Windows, so if you develop for another OS, you won't make a lot of sales / get popularity, but if you want Microsoft to change, going along with their schemes isn't going to help. I too have finally given up on caring about MS, I just use their stuff. I hope MS has a change of heart (yeah, right), and decides to make available 1.3. Where's a good OpenGL chat? I've given up on NeHe's... =[
but who am I to tell you all what to do? I still program for Windows (because I don't have Linux).

IT'S TIME TO START A REVOLUTION!

_Buster_

oh by the way Buster != _BUSTER_

dotspot.cjb.net

http://www.Theatermonkey.com

Edited by - _BUSTER_ on August 16, 2001 3:29:39 AM

• Partner Spotlight

• Similar Content

• By pseudomarvin
      I assumed that if a shader is computationally expensive then the execution is just slower. But running the following GLSL FS instead just crashes
      void main() { float x = 0; float y = 0; int sum = 0; for (float x = 0; x < 10; x += 0.00005) { for (float y = 0; y < 10; y += 0.00005) { sum++; } } fragColor = vec4(1, 1, 1 , 1.0); } with unhandled exception in nvoglv32.dll. Are there any hard limits on the number of steps/time that a shader can take before it is shut down? I was thinking about implementing some time intensive computation in shaders where it would take on the order of seconds to compute a frame, is that possible? Thanks.
    • By Arulbabu Donbosco
      There are studios selling applications which is just copying any 3Dgraphic content and regenerating into another new window. especially for CAVE Virtual reality experience. so that the user opens REvite or CAD or any other 3D applications and opens a model. then when the user selects the rendered window the VR application copies the 3D model information from the OpenGL window. 
      I got the clue that the VR application replaces the windows opengl32.dll file. how this is possible ... how can we copy the 3d content from the current OpenGL window.
      anyone, please help me .. how to go further... to create an application like VR CAVE. 

Thanks
    • By cebugdev
      hi all,

i am trying to build an OpenGL 2D GUI system, (yeah yeah, i know i should not be re inventing the wheel, but this is for educational and some other purpose only),
      i have built GUI system before using 2D systems such as that of HTML/JS canvas, but in 2D system, i can directly match a mouse coordinates to the actual graphic coordinates with additional computation for screen size/ratio/scale ofcourse.
      now i want to port it to OpenGL, i know that to render a 2D object in OpenGL we specify coordiantes in Clip space or use the orthographic projection, now heres what i need help about.
      1. what is the right way of rendering the GUI? is it thru drawing in clip space or switching to ortho projection?
      2. from screen coordinates (top left is 0,0 nd bottom right is width height), how can i map the mouse coordinates to OpenGL 2D so that mouse events such as button click works? In consideration ofcourse to the current screen/size dimension.
      3. when let say if the screen size/dimension is different, how to handle this? in my previous javascript 2D engine using canvas, i just have my working coordinates and then just perform the bitblk or copying my working canvas to screen canvas and scale the mouse coordinates from there, in OpenGL how to work on a multiple screen sizes (more like an OpenGL ES question).
      lastly, if you guys know any books, resources, links or tutorials that handle or discuss this, i found one with marekknows opengl game engine website but its not free,
      Just let me know. Did not have any luck finding resource in google for writing our own OpenGL GUI framework.
      IF there are no any available online, just let me know, what things do i need to look into for OpenGL and i will study them one by one to make it work.
      thank you, and looking forward to positive replies.
    • By fllwr0491
      I have a few beginner questions about tesselation that I really have no clue.
      The opengl wiki doesn't seem to talk anything about the details.

What is the relationship between TCS layout out and TES layout in?
      How does the tesselator know how control points are organized?
          e.g. If TES input requests triangles, but TCS can output N vertices.
             What happens in this case?
      In this article,
      http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=2120983
      the isoline example TCS out=4, but TES in=isoline.
      And gl_TessCoord is only a single one.
      So which ones are the control points?
      How are tesselator building primitives?
    • By Orella
      I've been developing a 2D Engine using SFML + ImGui.
      Here you can see an image
      The editor is rendered using ImGui and the scene window is a sf::RenderTexture where I draw the GameObjects and then is converted to ImGui::Image to render it in the editor.
      Now I need to create a 3D Engine during this year in my Bachelor Degree but using SDL2 + ImGui and I want to recreate what I did with the 2D Engine. 
      I've managed to render the editor like I did in the 2D Engine using this example that comes with ImGui. 
      3D Editor preview
      But I don't know how to create an equivalent of sf::RenderTexture in SDL2, so I can draw the 3D scene there and convert it to ImGui::Image to show it in the editor.
      If you can provide code will be better. And if you want me to provide any specific code tell me.
      Thanks!
  • Popular Now