• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
zyrolasting

[C++] ID3DXSprite can't transform with animations

This topic is 3046 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My sprites always share the position of the first sprite if I try to animate them. I call ID3DXSprite::SetTransform before every draw, and I have confirmed that the correct information is set for every sprite. There are 3 sprites on my app that all share the same texture, and therefore the same animation. I generate a RECT every frame (if necessary) to pass to the pSrcRect parameter of ID3DXSprite::Draw. It's pretty obvious how to do so with the above image. Take a RECT of the first frame and just shift the thing over, looping back if necessary. If I use a constant RECT of the first frame, all the sprites are placed exactly where I want them. However, if I use my animations, all sprites snap to the position of the first even though the correct transformations are passed. If you need to see relevant snippets... With animation
m_pSprite->SetTransform(&matrix);
// Everything animates fine... in one spot.
m_pSprite->Draw(m_pTexture,&m_SpriteSheet.Output,0,0,~0);
Without animation
RECT r = {0,0,64,64};
m_pSprite->SetTransform(&matrix);

// Everything is placed fine... With no animation
m_pSprite->Draw(m_pTexture,&r,0,0,~0);
So, everything is fine except the pSrcRect param is giving me a black and white situation. What gives?

Advertisement
It's not a problem I've seen before. Does it work correctly if you call Flush after calling Draw?

Nope... Here's the smallest bit of the most relevant code I have. I'm on an event-driven model.

m_pSprite->Begin(D3DXSPRITE_ALPHABLEND);
m_Entities.PropogateMessage( EntityStorage::Message( CMSG_RENDER ) );
m_pSprite->End();

Everything is drawn in PropogateMessage(). You don't need to see that since it works. Just know it passes a message to each stored entity via a virtual method on them.

Render message handling:
case CMSG_RENDER:
{
// Bail if there is no texture
if ( !m_pTexture ) return -1;

// Sprite object grabbed in another event.
m_pSprite->SetTransform(&TransformationMatrix);
m_pSprite->Draw(m_pTexture->GetTexPointer(),&m_SpriteSheet.m_Child,0,0,m_ARGBBlend);
// m_pSprite->Flush(); <- Tried with and without
}

I don't want to overwhelm, so I won't post any more code unless I'm asked. I'm suspicious of the SpriteSheet object I use, but that would mean I assume the pSrcRect parameter actually moves the sprite. I doubt it's really busted.

I found the problem.

As mentioned, I had 3 objects that used the same sprite. They each query a texture from a database. If it fails, they load the texture and add it to the database.
All this is done in an if statement, and I erroneously put the code for setting up animations in that block, meaning only the first sprite was set up properly. Sprites 2 and 3 were passing crap RECTs to Draw().

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!