Sign in to follow this  
openglJunkie

How do you feel about these API's now?

OpenGL and Direct3D Read this first: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/opengl-directx,2019.html I'm questioning which API to learn (not just these two). After reading the above article I feel like OpenGL is eventually going to be dead and there may or may not be something to replace it. For example, the PS3 doesn't operate on OpenGL, but how many people are in a position to be able to afford to write software for the PS3. I also feel like I want to learn something that should be multiplatform. Should I really care? I mean I believe Windows to be the best OS in terms of what the general user wants, but some people do use Mac's. I was just wondering how everyone else felt about the future and how it affects what you're learning. I have this project I want to do and I currently have plans of doing it in Java because it's not very advanced, but at the same time I want to be a game designer so I know I should learn Direct3D or something on the side.

*sniff* *sniff*

I smell a troll (or at least unintentional flamebait), and I shan't feed the flames.

1. OpenGL isn't gonna die.
2. Most of what you learn will be applicable to other API's.
3. Learn what you want to actually use.

Quote:
Original post by eedok
for the sake of your username, you'd probably want to learn OpenGL

LOL, I like your reasoning!

But, yes I agree with lmelior, most of your knowledge will translate from api to api so learn whichever allows you to do what you want to do with this project.

LOL, I hadn't thought of that. This is an old old account by the way. No, I'm sure OpenGL will be around for a while yet, but it's the way things are constantly changing that confuses me about what to learn. I'm going to pick up Direct3D 10 now because I feel I could benefit from it. I'm not going to focus on trying to make a completed project, just write a bunch of random 3d programs that focus on specific features.