• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
WuTz

DX11 ID3DXMesh ind DirectX 11?

This topic is 3048 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello! I want to port my engine to DirectX11, but I've seen, that there is no Mesh-Interface! And the SDK sample about Mesh-Loading in DX11 uses only the .SDKMESH format, which I don't want to use. And Microsoft says that we shouldn't use it, too. So how can I do the Meshy stuff??

Advertisement
Microsoft recommends that you don't use the SDKMesh format for shipping games, because it's not a format optimized for a game's specific needs. The same applied to old DX9 Mesh class and .X format. If you don't have any of those specific content/performance requirements, then go ahead and use the format. It's certainly more than good enough for samples and demos, and I'm sure it would work great in simpler games. Then later on you can extend or modify things if you have the need, since you have the source code.

Sorry. I don't want to use the SDKMESH format.
My Engine has its own mesh file type. I just want to have a
!!!Mesh-Interface!!! The filetype is unimportant. I just sad, that Microsoft doesn't shows how...

If you already have your own mesh format, then how do you not know how to draw it? It's just a series of triangles and (usually) indices?

I use the ID3DX10Mesh interface for drawing. I just wanted to ask, if I have to
write my own mesh interface, or if I am just blind.

And another question: Am I allowed to modify the Mesh loaders from the SDK?
I mean the OBJ loader and so.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!