ID3DXMesh ind DirectX 11?

Started by
3 comments, last by WuTz 14 years, 2 months ago
Hello! I want to port my engine to DirectX11, but I've seen, that there is no Mesh-Interface! And the SDK sample about Mesh-Loading in DX11 uses only the .SDKMESH format, which I don't want to use. And Microsoft says that we shouldn't use it, too. So how can I do the Meshy stuff??
Advertisement
Microsoft recommends that you don't use the SDKMesh format for shipping games, because it's not a format optimized for a game's specific needs. The same applied to old DX9 Mesh class and .X format. If you don't have any of those specific content/performance requirements, then go ahead and use the format. It's certainly more than good enough for samples and demos, and I'm sure it would work great in simpler games. Then later on you can extend or modify things if you have the need, since you have the source code.
Sorry. I don't want to use the SDKMESH format.
My Engine has its own mesh file type. I just want to have a
!!!Mesh-Interface!!! The filetype is unimportant. I just sad, that Microsoft doesn't shows how...
If you already have your own mesh format, then how do you not know how to draw it? It's just a series of triangles and (usually) indices?
I use the ID3DX10Mesh interface for drawing. I just wanted to ask, if I have to
write my own mesh interface, or if I am just blind.

And another question: Am I allowed to modify the Mesh loaders from the SDK?
I mean the OBJ loader and so.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement