Sign in to follow this  
Dasha

What is the difference between Medieval and Fantasy?

Dasha    145
When it comes to gaming, what is the difference between a medieval setting and a fantasy setting? And then between medieval and historical? Is this just people trying to split mmo's into as many categories as they can? Or is there a large difference between the groups?

ncsu121978    1344
medieval - world setting as that time period, with items/places/characters that *could* possibly have existed in real life (food, island castle, soldier)

fantasy - items/places/characters that *cannot* possibly have existed in real life (elixir of health/floating in the air castle/centaur)

historical - items/places/characters that *did* actually exist in real life (Atom Bomb/New York City/Al Copone)

just my thinking

tori    100
yeah, I agree with ncsu121978

Historical settings follow our history, medieval add possible but fictional figures and/or objects and fantasy settings mix dragons, potions and elves into it all.

sunandshadow    7426
Fantasy comes in many different flavors because it is compatible with every historical setting as well as a-historical settings like alien worlds where humans have never been heard of. "High fantasy", the kind which is so common in gaming after being popularized by Tolkien and Dungeons and Dragons, is really a narrow subgenre of fantasy.

JasRonq    156
I'm not sure that anyone would recognize it as fantasy without magic and/or some non-human race like elves. High fantasy has been nearly the only fantasy for a long time.

Diodor    517
A fantasy level 80 kills dragons by his lonesome while a level 80 medieval guy commands 40.000 foot and 5.000 horse. I don't think there are medieval RPGs, just strategy games, but i've not played that many RPGs.

sunandshadow    7426
Quote:
Original post by JasRonq
I'm not sure that anyone would recognize it as fantasy without magic and/or some non-human race like elves. High fantasy has been nearly the only fantasy for a long time.

*sweatdrop* Only to people who don't read books... But almost all fantasy has magic of some variety. 'Low fantasy' can also have non-human races, just preferably not elves, dwarves, etc.

Tom Sloper    16062
Quote:
Original post by Dasha
When it comes to gaming, what is the difference between a medieval setting and a fantasy setting?

Fantasy has dragons, magic, and happy endings. Medieval has hordes of huns and bubonic plague.

Red Cloud    157
Medieval is just a time period, just like the renaissance or postmodern world. Fantasy is a genre (things that doesn't exist in the real world), so a medieval fantasy would take place in a medieval era with fantasy elements such as dragons, magic etc. And fantasy doesn't just mean elves and dwarfs and stuff like that.

Katie    2244

Bubonic plague didn't really arrive in Northern Europe until the very late medieval or early renaissance eras. Until the late 1600s/early 1700s the UK, northern France, Germany etc were too cold to have populations of Black rats outside of port cities. Since native rats don't like living around humans, they didn't provide the necessary disease vector.

It was only during the warming period when there were enough rats and people in the same areas to lead to the great plagues.

The "Black Death" WAS around, but every indication is that that was a human transmissible virus...

JamesPenny    148
Fantasy: Set in ANY time but with made up elements. Dragons, goblins, honest politicians.

Historical: Set in any time period in history.

Medieaval: between 1066 and 1399 roughly. The feudal ages.

BONUS POINTS!
Can anyone tell me which game I got the dates from?

Orymus    156
Then again, most medieval games fall totally out of the true logic of the time. They use an anachronic modern point of view to interpret a system, and important factos become trivial when they were the real rules back then, and vice-versa.
Most medieval games out there ARE fantasy, but just aren't too obvious about it (read Dragon).

SimonForsman    7642
Quote:
Original post by Diodor
A fantasy level 80 kills dragons by his lonesome while a level 80 medieval guy commands 40.000 foot and 5.000 horse. I don't think there are medieval RPGs, just strategy games, but i've not played that many RPGs.

Mount & Blade would be a medieval action RPG , allthough set in a fictional country, and yes, it lets you command a small "army".

Talroth    3247
Quote:
Original post by JamesPenny
Fantasy: Set in ANY time but with made up elements. Dragons, goblins, honest politicians.

BONUS POINTS!

Whatever game you got it form was wrong. You're missing several centuries for what is generally regarded as the Medieval era. (Remember, eras overlap. Everyone doesn't just wake up one day and say "Hey! Lets call it a new age today." and much of the Renaissance is still Medieval.)

Orymus    156
Quote:
Original post by Talroth
Quote:
Original post by JamesPenny

BONUS POINTS!

Whatever game you got it form was wrong. You're missing several centuries for what is generally regarded as the Medieval era. (Remember, eras overlap. Everyone doesn't just wake up one day and say "Hey! Lets call it a new age today." and much of the Renaissance is still Medieval.)

Ya, Medieval would have to start in the late 400s or early 500s, but as you pointed, this is kind of an awkward way of making the cut. This is possibly one of the ages where the line is so blurry as well.

Brainsaw    106
Hmm ... I have always seen Star Wars (which I really love) as a fairy-tale. There is a dragon (aka "Death Star"), a princess in trouble, and all the other important elements.

Btw: Imho medieval started when Christianity became the big religion and the Roman Empire fell apart, and it roughly ends with the discovery of America (at least that's what I rememver from school).

Orymus    156
like most time periods, you need not follow dates but logics. There was a historian that supported that the middle ages, in eastern canada, ended only about 50-70 years ago. The arguments were good, and one could agree with that, so never think you can confine such a logic to a delimtated period.