What is the difference between Medieval and Fantasy?

Started by
18 comments, last by Orymus 14 years, 1 month ago
When it comes to gaming, what is the difference between a medieval setting and a fantasy setting? And then between medieval and historical? Is this just people trying to split mmo's into as many categories as they can? Or is there a large difference between the groups?

My current game: MMORPGRTSFPSRLG. Read: Some sort of mmorpg with a special something that will make everyone want to play but I wont tell you what it is.

Team Openings: None

For serious though, my goal is to create a MMO. What kind? Not sure yet. MMO games are my passion and it's a goal of mine to change the industry for the better. Do I know it's an unrealistic goal? Yes. Do I care? Heck no.

If you ever need someone to bounce ideas off of, feel free to contact me.

--------------------------Hail New^Internet

Advertisement
medieval - world setting as that time period, with items/places/characters that *could* possibly have existed in real life (food, island castle, soldier)

fantasy - items/places/characters that *cannot* possibly have existed in real life (elixir of health/floating in the air castle/centaur)

historical - items/places/characters that *did* actually exist in real life (Atom Bomb/New York City/Al Copone)

just my thinking
yeah, I agree with ncsu121978

Historical settings follow our history, medieval add possible but fictional figures and/or objects and fantasy settings mix dragons, potions and elves into it all.
Fantasy comes in many different flavors because it is compatible with every historical setting as well as a-historical settings like alien worlds where humans have never been heard of. "High fantasy", the kind which is so common in gaming after being popularized by Tolkien and Dungeons and Dragons, is really a narrow subgenre of fantasy.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

I'm not sure that anyone would recognize it as fantasy without magic and/or some non-human race like elves. High fantasy has been nearly the only fantasy for a long time.
A fantasy level 80 kills dragons by his lonesome while a level 80 medieval guy commands 40.000 foot and 5.000 horse. I don't think there are medieval RPGs, just strategy games, but i've not played that many RPGs.
Quote:Original post by JasRonq
I'm not sure that anyone would recognize it as fantasy without magic and/or some non-human race like elves. High fantasy has been nearly the only fantasy for a long time.

*sweatdrop* Only to people who don't read books... But almost all fantasy has magic of some variety. 'Low fantasy' can also have non-human races, just preferably not elves, dwarves, etc.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Quote:Original post by Dasha
When it comes to gaming, what is the difference between a medieval setting and a fantasy setting?

Fantasy has dragons, magic, and happy endings. Medieval has hordes of huns and bubonic plague.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Medieval is just a time period, just like the renaissance or postmodern world. Fantasy is a genre (things that doesn't exist in the real world), so a medieval fantasy would take place in a medieval era with fantasy elements such as dragons, magic etc. And fantasy doesn't just mean elves and dwarfs and stuff like that.
redcloud@adam.com.auSODALIS looking for talented and dedicated tileset and sprite artists. www.sodalisrpg.com
Thanks for all the clarifications mates.

My current game: MMORPGRTSFPSRLG. Read: Some sort of mmorpg with a special something that will make everyone want to play but I wont tell you what it is.

Team Openings: None

For serious though, my goal is to create a MMO. What kind? Not sure yet. MMO games are my passion and it's a goal of mine to change the industry for the better. Do I know it's an unrealistic goal? Yes. Do I care? Heck no.

If you ever need someone to bounce ideas off of, feel free to contact me.

--------------------------Hail New^Internet

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement