What is the difference between Medieval and Fantasy?

Started by
18 comments, last by Orymus 14 years, 1 month ago

Bubonic plague didn't really arrive in Northern Europe until the very late medieval or early renaissance eras. Until the late 1600s/early 1700s the UK, northern France, Germany etc were too cold to have populations of Black rats outside of port cities. Since native rats don't like living around humans, they didn't provide the necessary disease vector.

It was only during the warming period when there were enough rats and people in the same areas to lead to the great plagues.

The "Black Death" WAS around, but every indication is that that was a human transmissible virus...

Advertisement
Fantasy: Set in ANY time but with made up elements. Dragons, goblins, honest politicians.

Historical: Set in any time period in history.

Medieaval: between 1066 and 1399 roughly. The feudal ages.

BONUS POINTS!
Can anyone tell me which game I got the dates from?
Then again, most medieval games fall totally out of the true logic of the time. They use an anachronic modern point of view to interpret a system, and important factos become trivial when they were the real rules back then, and vice-versa.
Most medieval games out there ARE fantasy, but just aren't too obvious about it (read Dragon).
The fact you were there before they invented the wheel doesn't make you any better than the wheel nor does it entitle you to claim property over the wheel. Being there at the right time just isn't enough, you need to take part into it.

I have a blog!
Quote:Original post by Diodor
A fantasy level 80 kills dragons by his lonesome while a level 80 medieval guy commands 40.000 foot and 5.000 horse. I don't think there are medieval RPGs, just strategy games, but i've not played that many RPGs.

Mount & Blade would be a medieval action RPG , allthough set in a fictional country, and yes, it lets you command a small "army".
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Quote:Original post by JamesPenny
Fantasy: Set in ANY time but with made up elements. Dragons, goblins, honest politicians.

BONUS POINTS!

Whatever game you got it form was wrong. You're missing several centuries for what is generally regarded as the Medieval era. (Remember, eras overlap. Everyone doesn't just wake up one day and say "Hey! Lets call it a new age today." and much of the Renaissance is still Medieval.)
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Quote:Original post by Talroth
Quote:Original post by JamesPenny

BONUS POINTS!

Whatever game you got it form was wrong. You're missing several centuries for what is generally regarded as the Medieval era. (Remember, eras overlap. Everyone doesn't just wake up one day and say "Hey! Lets call it a new age today." and much of the Renaissance is still Medieval.)

Ya, Medieval would have to start in the late 400s or early 500s, but as you pointed, this is kind of an awkward way of making the cut. This is possibly one of the ages where the line is so blurry as well.
The fact you were there before they invented the wheel doesn't make you any better than the wheel nor does it entitle you to claim property over the wheel. Being there at the right time just isn't enough, you need to take part into it.

I have a blog!
Star wars is scifi fantasy. If anyone needed an example that isn't dungeons and dragons.
true indeed.

jedi force = magic
jabba, chewie, etc = species

:)

I have a blog!
Hmm ... I have always seen Star Wars (which I really love) as a fairy-tale. There is a dragon (aka "Death Star"), a princess in trouble, and all the other important elements.

Btw: Imho medieval started when Christianity became the big religion and the Roman Empire fell apart, and it roughly ends with the discovery of America (at least that's what I rememver from school).
like most time periods, you need not follow dates but logics. There was a historian that supported that the middle ages, in eastern canada, ended only about 50-70 years ago. The arguments were good, and one could agree with that, so never think you can confine such a logic to a delimtated period.

I have a blog!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement