Sign in to follow this  
Chetanhl

Graphics library for platform other than windows ?

Chetanhl    354
1)Hey all, I wanted to know which graphics library or sdk are used for non windows platforms ? Windows - DirectX, Opengl , any other ?? Linux - Opengl i guess or something else ? ps2 - ?????????? Xbox - Xna or any other?? can we use directX for xbox? 2) Whats the difference between OpenGl and Glut ? I am currently learning DirectX, how difficult it will be for me to switch to Opengl later on if situation demands ? [Edited by - Chetanhl on February 18, 2010 3:57:19 PM]

BCullis    1955
Quote:
Original post by Chetanhl
2) Whats the difference between OpenGl and Glut ?

GLUT (OpenGL Utility Toolkit) is just a library of functions to make some OpenGL operations easier. It operates along with OpenGL, so there's not really a difference so much as an extension.

To briefly touch on question 1, OpenGL is cross-platform. I'm pretty sure you can use DirectX with C++ on the XBox as well as XNA.

Chetanhl    354
thanx for reply. waiting for answers to other questions as well

libraries for playstation 2 and 3 ???

If i try to switch from directX to opengl do i have to learn all over again or my experiece from directX will help ?

[Edited by - Chetanhl on February 18, 2010 4:58:57 PM]

Dunge    405
I developed for a short moment on PSP and NintendoDS. Both Sony and Nintendo developed they own graphic library, and you require to be a approved licensed developer to grab and use them. They were very similar to OpenGL and the fixed pipeline in DirectX9. I guess Playstation3 is more advanced though.

Xna is a easy way to create games in C# who build both for Win32 and Xbox360 with the same result. My guess is that real commercial x360 games (not arcade games) actually use a devkit and a special SDK too, which again you need to be a licensed developer, but it might be plain DirectX.

Personally, I think currently DirectX is more advanced and it stay the best choice for making high quality 3D games and except for porting to ps3/x360 if you ever get a commercial-quality game done, you should stick with it. For other uses though, cross-platform is amazing. At my work currently I work on an embedded device (TS-TPC-7390) and we use SDL for fast 2D graphics. Cool thing about it, wheter I use linux, win32, a cellphone, a home console, anything you just use the cross-compiler and it works instantaneously.