Sign in to follow this  
nbertoa

Unity [C++] Compilation and default values problem.

nbertoa    1022
Hi community. I have a class Shooter and its constructor's declaration is:
//Shooter.h

Shooter(int health=0, float speed=250.0f, float jumpPower=600.0f, int    munitions=1);

As you can see, each argument has its default value. I have a class Level and in its private part has:
// Level.h that includes "Shooter.h"

private:

Shooter m_mainCharacter;

And its constructor definition is:
// Level.cpp that includes "Level.h"

Level() : m_mainCharacter(1, 300.0f) 
{

// Irrelevant things

}

Hence, in its initialization list I don't put a value for jumpPower, then jumpPower takes its default value. The problem is the following: Suppose I modify the default value for jumpPower in Shooter.h. When I compile and run the application there isn't a change!!!! But if I make an irrelevant change in Level.cpp like a newline, or space, etc, when I recompile and run, the behavior is the correct.

Rattenhirn    3114
This has nothing to do with default parameters.

Use a build environment that has a (working) dependency checker, like, er, well, I can't even think of one that doesn't...
Maybe you're using broken makefiles?

Rattenhirn    3114
Very weird. Visual Studio's dependency checking is usually solid and the only way to screw it up that I am aware makes it recompile everything all the time. And that's obviously not your problem...

Nypyren    12074
Something is confusing the dependency checker... which usually works the other way around like Rattenhirn said.

Do you have multiple files with the name "Level.h" or "Shooter.h" anywhere else in your project or directory structure that the dependency checker might be looking at, which are different from what the compiler ends up including?

nbertoa    1022
I discovered the reason, but it's SO WEIRD!!!!!

If I change the default value for jumpPower in Shooter.h the compiler output is:

------ Build started: Project: CaperucitaPlusPlus, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
Compiling...
Shooter.cpp
Generating Code...
Skipping... (no relevant changes detected)
Level.cpp
mainLevel.cpp
Linking...
Embedding manifest...
Build log was saved at "file://d:\NicoDocs\Programming\SFML\CaperucitaPlusPlus\CaperucitaPlusPlus\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
CaperucitaPlusPlus - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Apparently the compiler skips Level.cpp compilation because for him "no relevant changes detected".
But if I put a newline, or space in Shooter.h, A REAL IRRELEVANT CHANGE!!!! the compiler output is:

------ Build started: Project: CaperucitaPlusPlus, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
Compiling...
Shooter.cpp
Generating Code...
Compiling...
Level.cpp
mainLevel.cpp
Generating Code...
Linking...
Embedding manifest...
Build log was saved at "file://d:\NicoDocs\Programming\SFML\CaperucitaPlusPlus\CaperucitaPlusPlus\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
CaperucitaPlusPlus - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Then we can see that Level.cpp compiles and the result is what I need.

JAJAJAJAJA I don't know what to say!!!! Changing a value is less relevant than a newline or space?

Codeka    1239
You can turn of the build dependency engine, which will cause it to rebuild all .cpp files that include a header file you've modified. In your project properties, under C/C++, Code Generation, change the "Enable Minimal Rebuild" option to 'No'.

In general, you shouldn't have to do this, though, since the Visual Studio engine is usually pretty good. The main things that tend to confuse it is if your files have timestamps that are in the future or really far in the past, You might want to just double-check that. There could also be preprocessor definitions which confuse the dependency engine, I'm not too sure... but definitely the option I mentioned above will work around the problem.

blackbird04217    144
I'm posting because I've experienced a similar, though different problem, as far as the building dependencies goes, although in quite a different fashion. This was like a year ago, but lesson learned. I was working on a rather large project, where there were files that required a complete build of the project, a lot longer than the minimal rebuild necessary.

Without touching "World.h" the compiler would detect it had changed and needed to be recompiled, which meant every file needed to be compiled. This took much more time than needed, especially when World.h shouldn't require that. The problem ended up being the fact that I had changed my computers date, accidentally while looking at the calendar, and the date/time of the World.h was changed. Therefor the compiler always thought the file was new, and needed to be rebuilt.

The same thing can happen in reverse; the compiler not building a file even when you are making changes, likely because of the same effect - although I don't know the specifics of this case I've experienced it as well. The previous case is easier since the time you last saved the file is newer than the current time and it thinks it needs to be rebuilt.

Just a heads up for people who get attracted to this thread from the contents within.

Zahlman    1682
Or you could, you know, learn how makefiles work... :) (Although I have no idea how you'd make an IDE like VC++ talk to external build tools like automake :/)