GLSL access depth buffer from shader

Started by
16 comments, last by idinev 14 years, 1 month ago
Hey guys, I want to read the depth buffer of my FBO in one of my shaders so I can run some DOF equation. I am having trouble reading the buffer however. I setup the depth texture with GL_DEPTH_STENCIL_EXT so I have the stencil value to play with too, but thats another issue for another day.

glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, textures[depth]);
glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_DEPTH24_STENCIL8_EXT, wWidth, wHeight, 0, GL_DEPTH_STENCIL_EXT, GL_UNSIGNED_INT_24_8_EXT, 0);
glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_NEAREST );
glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_NEAREST );
glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE );
glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE );

then..

glFramebufferTexture2DEXT(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT, GL_DEPTH_ATTACHMENT_EXT, GL_TEXTURE_2D, textures[depth], 0);

I don't how I access just the depth component of the texture from a shader (if it is possible at all?). Can I pass the the depth texture as a sampler? If anyone can help, then thanks.
Advertisement
For sure you can just bind the depth as a sampler. Just make sure you set your depth comparison to NONE.
Huh? I don't understand.. If I set the texture as a sampler, how do i read of the first 24bits and leave out the stencil value?
The texture2D() automatically gives you values in the [0;1] range. The value is (z/w+1)/2
Quote:Original post by idinev
The texture2D() automatically gives you values in the [0;1] range. The value is (z/w+1)/2
To expand on that answer, you just sample the red component of the depth buffer, and you get the full 24 bit value as a float.
float depth = texture2D( depthBuf, texCoords ).r;
Quote:Original post by Hodgman
To expand on that answer, you just sample the red component of the depth buffer, and you get the full 24 bit value as a float.
float depth = texture2D( depthBuf, texCoords ).r;

Awesome, I'm just on my way to work so i'll give this a blast later. If this is the case as you say, can you access the stencil value with .b?
float depth = texture2D(depthImg, gl_TexCoord[0].xy).r;

this doesn't work after all. Always seems to equate to 1 :S. I can't work it out. Here is what I got to try and just output the depth as colour...

uniform sampler2D depthImg;void main(){	float depth = texture2D(depthImg, gl_TexCoord[0].xy).r;	gl_FragColor = vec4(depth, depth, depth, 1.0);}

and in the c++ code...

glActiveTexture(GL_TEXTURE0);glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, textures[depth]);shaderDepthColour.UseProgram();RenderFullscreenQuad();

seems like I am only getting a white screen though :(

Yes, it "seems"

Try this in your shader, to convert to linear:
	float LinearizeDepth(float zoverw){		float n = 1.0; // camera z near		float f = 20000.0; // camera z far		return (2.0 * n) / (f + n - zoverw * (f - n));	}uniform sampler2D depthImg;void main(){	float depth = texture2D(depthImg, gl_TexCoord[0].xy).r;	depth = LinearizeDepth(depth)*77;	gl_FragColor = vec4(depth, depth, depth, 1.0);}

Yes, it "seems"

Try this in your shader, to convert to linear:
*** Source Snippet Removed ***

This doesn't work either... is it potentially because I am using the wrong format for my texture?

glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_DEPTH24_STENCIL8_EXT, wWidth, wHeight, 0, GL_DEPTH_STENCIL_EXT, GL_UNSIGNED_INT_24_8_EXT, 0);

perhaps when using float data type in the shader the value is getting clamped because it is a 24 uint in the texture?

Hopefully you simply didn't change the "n" and "f" vars to match your persp-proj values. Also toy with the "77" value .

Or check if really the depth==1.0 :
float depth = texture2D(depthImg, gl_TexCoord[0].xy).r;depth = depth==1.0 ? 0 : 1; gl_FragColor = vec4(depth, depth, depth, 1.0);

The other stuff is: glTexParami(gl_texture_compare_mode) - has to be gl_none, otherwise the sampler will be doing shadowmap comparison (which will result in the exact problem you currently describe).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement