Game Programming Gems

Started by
7 comments, last by Cromulent 14 years, 1 month ago
Hi, I have read about the Game Programming Gems books, there are 6 books out there with a 7th coming, Do I need to buy all the books or can I buy only the most recent one? (right now I am learning first C++ using a book, after that is when I want to buy the gems). [Edited by - RIGENSTEIN on February 18, 2010 9:34:44 PM]
Advertisement
Each of the Game Programming Gem books is a collection of various articles related to game programming. I would suggest finding the contents of each of the books in the series online and seeing if there is anything that interests you.

Also I wouldn't consider the Game Programming Gem books beginner game programming books if that's what you were looking for.
All the books have different content. Naturally, the techniques described in more recent volumes are probably more up-to-date than some of those in earlier volumes, but there's relevant, useful information in each of the volumes.

You should be able to find 'table of contents' listings for most if not all of the books online, so you could just have a look and see which volume(s) seem like they'd be most useful to you.
I am reading through the series, and my experience is that the first couple of books in the series cover a little more of the basic material, such as BSP trees and Object Oriented Programming, which is a useful foundation to build on. But that said, all the books have relevant articles.
Embedded Systems Hardware Designer / Software DeveloperSylver technologies Inc.
Quote:Original post by CornyKorn21
Each of the Game Programming Gem books is a collection of various articles related to game programming. I would suggest finding the contents of each of the books in the series online and seeing if there is anything that interests you.

Also I wouldn't consider the Game Programming Gem books beginner game programming books if that's what you were looking for.

Could you mention some beginner books?
On the main page left side of gamedev.net you'll see a link called 'Beginners'. Look in there for a lot of good tips, ideas, information and books recommendations. There's a book out called 'Beginning Game Programming' that teaches C++ from the basics and then uses examples showing how to apply what you are learning to games.
Anaton
Just to note that books one, two and three are available for free from the Nvidia website.
Quote:Original post by Cromulent
Just to note that books one, two and three are available for free from the Nvidia website.

You're thinking of GPU Gems not Game Programming Gems.
Quote:Original post by CornyKorn21
Quote:Original post by Cromulent

You're thinking of GPU Gems not Game Programming Gems.

Doh!

So I am. Still, always good to know they are there :). Good catch.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement