Best C++ Game Engine & IDE?

Started by
5 comments, last by Shakedown 14 years, 2 months ago
Now, I know people find the ideology of 'best' to be subjective. That being said, what is the best FREE C++ Game Engine/Library, and IDE? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
What platform (Windows, Linux, etc) and what style of game? 2D, 3D, RPG/FPS/racer/sports/etc. Each engine will have strengths and weaknesses in different areas.

As for an IDE, if you're on Windows, then Visual Studio Express, hands down.
Quote:Original post by Codeka
What platform (Windows, Linux, etc) and what style of game? 2D, 3D, RPG/FPS/racer/sports/etc. Each engine will have strengths and weaknesses in different areas.

As for an IDE, if you're on Windows, then Visual Studio Express, hands down.

I'm on Windows, so thanks. I'll start off 2d, Racer right now. Then, I'd make a 3D basketball game.

[Edited by - FutureGameProgrammer on February 18, 2010 7:36:36 PM]
If you plan on releasing games for Windows/XBox only then I would suggest checking out XNA, it is supported by Microsoft and is a fairly comprehensive and high-quality library -from what I have heard-. I have not tried it myself, I am going off of the comments a few friends have made on the subject. If nothing else it's a good place to start and has an active community.

*PLUG: Alternatively if you would like to work with my 2d library you certainly can take a look and fiddle around with it:
M2tM Library You will need to download SDL, SDL_Mixer, SDL_Image, and SDL_TTF and it requires Visual Studio 2010 or another compiler which supports C++0x's lambda's.
_______________________"You're using a screwdriver to nail some glue to a ming vase. " -ToohrVyk
Probably Ogre3D and Visual C++ Express.
Ogre3D is only a graphics engine.

Sadly, I don't think you'll get very far with a "free" C++ engine. You may want to look into modding for an already established AAA engine like the UDK / Unity / Source / CryEngine2 just to name a few.
If you're a student (and can prove it), Microsoft has the Dreamspark program that allows students access to professional-grade software for free, so you could get a Visual Studio Professional edition.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement