• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ironfroggy

std::string compares

This topic is 6139 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
>what is the str::string equiv to strcmp()? also, how can i get a pointer to the actual char array in the string object?

I''m not entirely sure on the first question (assuming you want a numerical answer) but you can do the following, which answers the second question:

string bob("bob"), alice("alice");

if (strcmp(bob.c_str(), alice.c_str()) {/* blah blah blah */}

Note the return type of c_str() is const char*.

Well, there's the compare function that returns an int just like strcmp :

string str1("hello");
string str2("world!");

if(str1.compare(str2) == 0) blah;

But you can also use all of the comparison operators: < <= == != >= >.

Keep in mind that std::string doesn't use a terminator. If you want a pointer to the array, both c_str and data do this—both return const char* . c_str adds a terminator to the array so you can use it anywhere where a terminator is necessary, such as printf . If you want just the characters in the array that make up the string, use the data function.

Edited by - merlin9x9 on August 2, 2001 2:28:51 PM

Edited by - merlin9x9 on August 2, 2001 2:29:24 PM

Small question......

I''m using the SGI stl with vc6.0

and i get one memory leak each time of a string
the last string that i accessed through c_str()

its rather strange but i think it might just be VC''s memory leak detection

Most leak-detection programs (MSVC, BoundsChecker in my experience) have difficulty detecting the freeing of static data; e.g. things that are freed by atexit handlers from libraries. The reason is that the leak detection is usually loaded as a DLL, and has no control over when it''s unloaded. We had a "leak" reported that we knew we were freeing in MSVC, so we put a breakpoint in the destructor of the static object (singleton), and it did hit the breakpoint--after the the memory leak list had been printed in the window.

So, in summary, not all leaks are leaks.

BUT, in your case, I don''t think c_str () should be leaking at all. I have never seen anything like that. I would be concerned if I were you, though I haven''t used your STL implementation.

I think it was at the official SGI STL download site where I saw a note saying their STL implementation made some leak-detectors unhappy, so Stoffel is exactly right—your STL is fine. As a matter of fact, it''s the one I use.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!