Sign in to follow this  
LionMX

Beginners book about game algorithms and data structures

The book I'm about to introduce is called "Core techniques and algorithms in game programming" by Daniel Sánchez-Crespo Dalmau. It's quite old now with the date on my version being published in 2003. Anyway, I wouldn't normally do this but I've been reading this book recently and seriously felt like it needed a plug. I bought the book during my university days and I have to be honest I only ever used it as a reference. A few days ago I decided to start reading the book from front to back and I was amazed at how much I had learnt in such a short space of time. I did a games programming course that was very much geared towards software engineering (to widen students job options after university) and as such I always had questions about why things where done, for example; the main loop - I always understood that it had to be in the game and how to code it but I never truly understood it. Having read chapter one I can truly say this is not an issue any more. Another problem I always had making my own games was to modularise the different components i.e. AI, physics and input. Again, this book gave me a much better idea on how to do this, and as such I am already thinking of ways to improve old code I have. Primarily this is a c/c++ book however most of the algorithms are written in pseudocode (yes you actually have to input the code yourself!) so its fairly versatile for all game builders regardless of language. This book lies on the line between a reference and an educational textbook so once you have finished reading it, it wont just gather dust on your shelf. I hope this post at least helps a few newbie game programmers in making a decision for a good game programming book, and I hope you like the book as much as I do. Kind regards, LionMX