February 2010 SlimDX SDK Now Available

Started by
8 comments, last by Flimflam 14 years, 2 months ago
The February 2010 release of SlimDX is now available! The majority of the work put into the February 2010 release was spent on fixing bugs and bringing the new Windows 7 APIs up to a usable level. While support for these was provided in a previous release, it was still deficient in some areas. Additionally, the sample framework and samples package was overhauled to better reflect the goals envisioned for them. They should now be more succinct and easier to follow, at the cost of some versatility. The SlimDX team does not recommend using the new sample framework as a base for user applications, but as a guide and overview of common rendering tasks. A number of bugs were fixed, as usual, and some changes were made to how the lifetime of certain interfaces is handled. Be sure to check out the release notes, linked below. SlimDX has been out of beta for almost two years now. Since first released, the team has tried to keep breaking changes to an absolute minimum. This has led to a number of desired changes being postponed in favor of backwards compatibility. During the past few months the SlimDX team has been doing initial design work and planning for a tentatively named "SlimDX 2.0" version, which will incorporate numerous breaking changes and enhancements to the library's core design. This "2.0" version is currently slated for a late 2010 release, making February 2010 one of the last "1.x" releases. The 1.x version of SlimDX will continue to receive bug fixes and additional functionality development within existing subsystems until the v2.0 release is production ready. v1.x will continue to receive support after the v2.0 release to allow time for clients to migrate code to the improved 2.0 platform. You can read the full release notes here.
Advertisement
We have ClickOnce support now! Bow before our awesomeness.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
I jizzed in my pants.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

Quote:Original post by Washu
I jizzed in my pants.

This really never happens you can take my word.
I won't apologize.
That's just absurd.
Mainly your fault for the way that you code.
Quote:Original post by dgreen02
Quote:Original post by Washu
I jizzed in my pants.

This really never happens you can take my word.
I won't apologize.
That's just absurd.
Mainly your fault for the way that you code.

Well true, since I don't wear pants...

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

I like where this is going.

Giggity
Thanks for the release.
Quote:Original post by ragnarsun
Thanks for the release.

Was it good for you too?

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

Oh, apparently we forgot to mention this anywhere, but this version of the SDK has a WPF/Direct3D 9 interop sample, contributed as the result of a collaboration between LizardTech and myself. A lot of people have been trying to combine the two lately, and it's tricky to get right. The sample shows the correct way to handle it.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Original post by Promit
Oh, apparently we forgot to mention this anywhere, but this version of the SDK has a WPF/Direct3D 9 interop sample, contributed as the result of a collaboration between LizardTech and myself. A lot of people have been trying to combine the two lately, and it's tricky to get right. The sample shows the correct way to handle it.

I love you so much right now, Promit. I've been wanting to dive into WPF but could never get the interop correctly figured out.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement